Slower speed then expected (Plan 75/35 mbps )
Avi_ap

Today I upgraded to Fios 75/35 and thought that my internet speed would go up to at least 35 mbps but it varies from 1mbs to 50 which makes watching just a simple youtube video very difficult. I have used the optimizer tool but that did not have much effect. I have tried with both wired and wireless connection and have spent the past 45 mins to get to a customer care representative on phone. Can any one help?

0 Likes
Re: Slower speed then expected (Plan 75/35 mbps )
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Try something besides youtube or netflix.  FIOS is in battle with both and you shoud not expect to see decent speeds from either site.  If you see the same with other sites then you have a problem, if not, then wait for FIOS to settle their disputes with cogent/youtube/netflix like the rest of us.

0 Likes
Re: Slower speed then expected (Plan 75/35 mbps )
Jeepty

There has been a month long outage in my area regarding fios. Verizon knows about it and says every day that it will be fixed soon. Perhaps you are having the same trouble.

I say, first test your fios speed, especially those time when it feels slow. Mine gets down to 100 kbs for hours at  a time in the evenings.

http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/

Personally I think that netflix movies are a great indicator for speed, but if in doubt, use the verizon link to do a legitamate test.

Second, if you are logged in, go to the top of the page, mouse over the support button, then click contact us. Next I believe you will have ability to click on a few options, choose internet. If there is a known outage in your area, then a new window should appear telling you that one exists. No one you talk to, chat with, or email at verizon will know what is causing it. However, they will tell you that it will be fixed by 8 am tomorrow (they will tell you this every time oyu call). But at least YOU will know if its just your house or the neighborhood.

0 Likes