Speed Match not working
kennystultz1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded to FiOS Quantum internet 75/75 (end of December).  While the download speed is fine, the upload speed has consistently been about 65% of the download speed.  Is there some setting I need to change to get the upload and download speeds to match?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Speed Match not working
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi kennystultz,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I would suggest the first thing you do is call Verizon tech support and ask them to confirm your ONT has been provisioned for 75/75.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Are you testing the speed using an ethernet cable on the Verizon test site? speedtest.verizon.net

0 Likes
kennystultz1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes on both counts.  Also, I get the same behavior with three different computers.  I suspect the other person that replied probably hit the nail on the head - something is not right with the ONT box.  I spent an hour in an online Verizon chat session yesterday morning and another 30 minutes on the phone with them last night.  They couldn't get it fixed.  A technician is supposed to come out tomorrow to look at the equipment.

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

Don't bother contacting them. They don't care. Same problem here for 3 months now.  Called and called, two techs arrived at the house, no fix. Online chat is useless, spent 2 hours on that alone, only for them to tell me it's my router when I can plug my computer directly into the ONT and get the same problem.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@click4dylan wrote:

Don't bother contacting them. They don't care. Same problem here for 3 months now.  Called and called, two techs arrived at the house, no fix. Online chat is useless, spent 2 hours on that alone, only for them to tell me it's my router when I can plug my computer directly into the ONT and get the same problem.

Just out of curiosity, when those two techs came to your house did they see the upload speed problem?

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello click4dylan

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

What is your ONT model number?

0 Likes
kennystultz1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The only thing I see on the box that looks like it might a model number is "SFH ONT 612A".

FWIW, a technician was out on Thursday and spent a couple of hours here and couldn't get the problem resolved.  He plugged his laptop directly into the ONT box and still got slow upload speed.  At that point, he got on the phone and called into his office and was told there was a bad POM card somewhere that needed to be replaced.  That replacement happeded Friday, but it didn't solve the problem.  Verizon called to check with me (to their credit) to see if the situation was resolved and when I told them it wasn't, they scheduled another technician to come out tomorrow.  This is turning out to be quite an adventure.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Something to note, I believe the Tellabs ONT612A you have is a BPON ONT. Some of the ONTs of that age required replacement due to the fact that they would max out at around 35-40Mbps of upload. Also, since you're on BPON there is far less available capacity on the PON if you have a neighbor that is very upload heavy, for example. 75Mbps up doesn't allow for much headroom when your total upload speed on BPON is 155Mbps.

If your upload speed is never able to achieve 75Mbps from another computer, on wired, and the ONT Is provisioned correctly, you might need a tech roll to move you to GPON. Just make sure you have disabled all forms of QoS on the router you are using. Many routers shape upload traffic, and others do not have the CPU power to handle QoS on a 75Mbps connection.