Static doesn’t work, but Dynamic does for surfing the web
Bob_W
Enthusiast - Level 2

Because I wanted some static IP addresses on my network I set the IP Distribution Range on my Actiontec router to 192.168.1.42 – 192.168.1.254.  I then assigned static IP addresses to my network printers and 3 computers.  For a while everything worked as expected.  However, after making a few additional, unrelated changes (rename DNS server host names) two of the three computers were blocked from access to the Internet.  The computers appeared in the routers list of devices on the LAN and the computers had full access to other devices on the LAN, but could not get out to the web.  One of the computers is a laptop.  The wireless connection worked fine just the Ethernet connection would not work.  If I changed the setting on the computers to use DHCP the problem was resolved.  Any idea what is blocking the static IP addresses from working?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Static doesn’t work, but Dynamic does for surfing the web
prisaz
Legend

I would ping the default gateway address and see if it answers. If it does, I would check your DNS settings and make sure they point to the router or valid DNS server.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Are you entering the routers address as the default gateway?

0 Likes
Bob_W
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I always use the router's address (192.168.1.1) as the Gateway address.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I would ping the default gateway address and see if it answers. If it does, I would check your DNS settings and make sure they point to the router or valid DNS server.

0 Likes
Bob_W
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  Adding DNS server IP address solved the problem.  I had left the primary and secondary DNS addresses blank because Verizon tech support had told me, when I asked what DNS server Verizon favored,  that they used Dynamic DNS servers and had no specific address to offer.  

I noticed that the Actiontec has assigned to specific IP addresses ( 71.242.0.12 and 71.252.0.12).  I stuck those in the TCP/IP property page and all seems to be well.  Thanks again for your advise.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will find that specifying the router address (192.168.1.1) as the DNS server will also work and you won't have to worry about Verizon changing the upstream server addresses.  The router acts as a caching DNS server so all your hostname lookups don't need to always travel up to the Verizon servers for resolution.

0 Likes