Streaming 4k with wired connection
Dizzy0ny2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I just purchased an LG CX series TV.

Right now I have it connected to my set top box via the HDMI port and the tv itself is connected to the internet over WiFi.  I would instead like to have it connected via a wired ethernet connection.  

The way I would normally do that is to is to run a cable from my router to the tv directly.

However, I'm wondering...since the set top box is connected to the tv already, and I can run an ethernet cable to my set top box from the router, will that work as an internet connection for the tv?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Streaming 4k with wired connection
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Ethernet ports on the Verizon set-top boxes cannot be used to connect devices.  With the exception of the FiOS ONE mini boxes, they are disabled.  The FiOS ONE mini boxes can use them to connect to the LAN like any other wired device.  The do not function when the box is connected to the LAN using MoCA or WiFi.

If you want to get an Ethernet connection to your smart TV but don't want to run a cable, consider using a MoCA adapter.  Use a splitter to provide coax to the set-top-box and the adapter, and you'll be good to go.  Verizon sells a suitable model for $55 here:

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Ethernet over HDMI is rarely implemented to the set top boxes to my knowledge. I could be wrong.

Dizzy0ny2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  What is that ethernet port on back of the STB for? do you know?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What kind of STB do you have? FiOS One TV? For that STB, the ethernet port is not provisioned, Verizon uses MoCA to send guide data and updates.

Or a third-party STB, for that, you need to consult their support.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Ethernet ports on the Verizon set-top boxes cannot be used to connect devices.  With the exception of the FiOS ONE mini boxes, they are disabled.  The FiOS ONE mini boxes can use them to connect to the LAN like any other wired device.  The do not function when the box is connected to the LAN using MoCA or WiFi.

If you want to get an Ethernet connection to your smart TV but don't want to run a cable, consider using a MoCA adapter.  Use a splitter to provide coax to the set-top-box and the adapter, and you'll be good to go.  Verizon sells a suitable model for $55 here:

https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories