Switching FIOS from Coax to Ethernet
Doc59

We have an early FIOS installation that is Coax.  We have TV, Internet and Phone.  I want to move to Gigabit internet.  I saw that you can run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router, and disconnect the coax cable.  However, all of our set top boxes etc are connected via coax...  My question is how do you move to ethernet to take advantage of higher internet bandwidth and maintain the TV and Phone services?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching FIOS from Coax to Ethernet
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The connections to set-top-boxes and phone do not change.  Run an Ethernet line from the ONT to the router's WAN port.  Do not change any other connections. Do not disconnect coax from the router, it is needed for the set-top boxes.

Once this is done, contact Verizon and ask them to switch the WAN port on the ONT from coax to Ethernet.  It takes just a few minutes once you start talking to them.

Note that if you've had FiOS for quite some time, you might have an older model ONT that needs to be replaced in order to get gigabit service.  Still do the Ethernet switch, as that is needed regardless of ONT model.

View solution in original post

Re: Switching FIOS from Coax to Ethernet
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The connections to set-top-boxes and phone do not change.  Run an Ethernet line from the ONT to the router's WAN port.  Do not change any other connections. Do not disconnect coax from the router, it is needed for the set-top boxes.

Once this is done, contact Verizon and ask them to switch the WAN port on the ONT from coax to Ethernet.  It takes just a few minutes once you start talking to them.

Note that if you've had FiOS for quite some time, you might have an older model ONT that needs to be replaced in order to get gigabit service.  Still do the Ethernet switch, as that is needed regardless of ONT model.