Tech Support Splitter Usage Inconsistency
gumbysmirks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello.  I want to apologize in advance if I’m asking some really common place questions.  I’m a FIOS newbie and was sick when the technician installed the service so I was unable to ask questions.

There seems to be some inconsistency in what Verizon tech support and the information I’ve been reading on the forums and FAQs are giving, regarding the use of Splitters.

My situation is similar to many others.  I have a Bedroom with a single coax (Moca) connection into the Verizon Actiontec router.  In the Living room is where my TV resides where I have 2 coax connection installed – one for the TV, and the other one is not used.

I just bought another TV and I want to hook it up in the bedroom.  However, there is only one coax connection there.  What is the best way get the second TV hooked up?  Can I use the “free” coax connection in the living room?  But wouldn’t that mean that living tv and bedroom tv have to be watching the same channel at any point in time?  Or can I “split” the connection right before the Actiontec router – one going into the tv and the other going into the router.

After calling tech support, they told me that I can only use the splitter at the ONT box and that I cannot under no condition remove the existing coax  from the Actiontec router.  They said that splitting the signal right before the Actiontec router will not work – so that both TV and internet can be used from the same coax.

I’ve looked at some diagrams and I see splitters set up by the ONT and then there is a splitter setup before the connection into the computer/tv.  The splitters between the ONT and the ones before the computer/tv are via RDG6(??).  Not too sure what that means.

Any light that can be shed will help greatly.  Verizon is sending me a splitter and I have no idea what to do with it.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Tech Support Splitter Usage Inconsistency
prisaz
Legend

Spacedebris is correct, but the FIOS signal from the ONT is usually rather hot, so splitting it twice should not be an issue. But this is assuming you do not intend on using the same STB for both TVs. If that is your intent it would be the strength of the STB coax output that could be a concern. But splitting that signal once should still work.

My setup.

ONT

New two way splitter listed below, to two four way splitters.

One New four way splitter listed below - Verizon FIOS supplied splitter, and the router sits on the Verizon supplied splitter.

Both of these should work fine. I am using two right now, and have had no issues. STBs updates the guide VOD works. But then my WAN does not run over the COAX, but uses Ethernet from the ONT to the router. I have not heard of any issues of running though two splitters, but I would not do three in series.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103924

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103925

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Instructions will differ slightly depending on your individual settings.

But the basics are... The moca line should come from the ONT to a splitter, it should then split and go to the tv and router. Now you CAN split any of these lines. Verizon splits the cable to the router so that you have both internet and TV on the same cable all the time. However, there are issues with splitting them. You cannot use just a standard splitter that you get down at Radio Shack. It must be a BI-Directional splitter ( I dont remember the exact specifications but someone here will). The other problem with splitting the line is.. Is there enough signal strength on the line to be able to handle another box. Usually the answer is yes but if not, then once you split one or both may not work any longer.

To be more specific on that we would need a little more info on the internal connections used at your house. But hopefully this will give you enough info to get you going.

as for the connection in your living room. If the split is before you stb then each room has its own control. If it is after the stb then both would be watching the same channel.

prisaz
Legend

Spacedebris is correct, but the FIOS signal from the ONT is usually rather hot, so splitting it twice should not be an issue. But this is assuming you do not intend on using the same STB for both TVs. If that is your intent it would be the strength of the STB coax output that could be a concern. But splitting that signal once should still work.

My setup.

ONT

New two way splitter listed below, to two four way splitters.

One New four way splitter listed below - Verizon FIOS supplied splitter, and the router sits on the Verizon supplied splitter.

Both of these should work fine. I am using two right now, and have had no issues. STBs updates the guide VOD works. But then my WAN does not run over the COAX, but uses Ethernet from the ONT to the router. I have not heard of any issues of running though two splitters, but I would not do three in series.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103924

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103925

gumbysmirks
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great thank for your responses. 

Given my living room setup - where the coax is already split before the STB (something the technician did for me because i mentioned that i might want the internet to be down in the living room), that means technically I can continue to use the current setup while extending the free coax cable and run it all the way upstairs into the new STB that I just ordered from Verizon.

In the above scenario, since the split is before the STB, then both TVs using different STBs can run independantly.  Correct?

If the above is correct, then I need to buy an additional coax cable/extender.  Any tips on buying an extender and a new cable?  Is there only a certain type i can get in order to get it to work?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@gumbysmirks wrote:

Great thank for your responses. 

Given my living room setup - where the coax is already split before the STB (something the technician did for me because i mentioned that i might want the internet to be down in the living room), that means technically I can continue to use the current setup while extending the free coax cable and run it all the way upstairs into the new STB that I just ordered from Verizon.

In the above scenario, since the split is before the STB, then both TVs using different STBs can run independantly.  Correct?

If the above is correct, then I need to buy an additional coax cable/extender.  Any tips on buying an extender and a new cable?  Is there only a certain type i can get in order to get it to work?

Thanks again.

Well it should be a good quality RG-6 quad shield cable. A standard F type female to female adapter should work fine if you do not have a second jack in the wall, but only the cable sticking out.