Re: Technician Multiple No Show
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Ongba wrote:

I was rereading your explanation regarding layer 1 and layer 2 disconnection.  Does this mean that the issue is outside of my home where the ont terminal box is located and has nothing to do with the wiring inside my home? Thank you.

In short, yes.  Layer 1 and 2 refer to details of the various network communications protocols.  Layer 1 is the physical connection of a cable or fiber with the ability to send data over it.  Layer 2 is the next level up that starts organizing the data to control how it flows.  There are other layers above these, all the way up to application layer protocols such as "HTTP."  It's all about how network and computer engineers organize information and create building blocks for system design.

For a FiOS user, all you can tell from the lights if is if the fiber is connected all the way back to the OLT in the central office (NTWK light) and if it's talking to the Verizon system (MGMT light).  If both are out, that tells us there an issue with the fiber somewhere.  It could be as simple as a loose connector at your ONT, which is why I asked you to look at it.  If it's not that, then it's an issue inside the Verizon network and the tech will need to find and fix it.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is possible if the fiber seems to be intactly connected to the ONT.

Does your neighboring Fios customers have the same issue? If not, the disconnection can be narrowed down to the fiber line feeding your house from the splitters on the street.

Ongba
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you.  I doubled checked all connections to my ont and none were found to be loose.

Ongba
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your message.  I double checked all the connections to my ont today and none were found to be loose.

Ongba
Enthusiast - Level 3

It appears my house is the only one affected.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Usually the phone technical support or the chat technical support would put in a note for the field technician. Have you describes the ONT lights to the chat technical support? The note can be useful for the field technician to troubleshoot the problem faster.

Ongba
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks to all who responded with helpful comments and suggestions.  The technician arrived and replaced the ONT which had shorted out.  He also replaced removed the battery backup unit and installed a new power source.

0 Likes