Re: FiOS Quantum G1100 / BHR4 Router - Missing the Advanced Filtering capability of the MI424WR
Phrustrated

Now Verizon is downgrading their Quantum Gateway --- without the customer's consent or choice --- to remove MAC Address filtering. (Admittedly, MAC Address filtering can be circumvented, it helps keep nosey neighbors and script kiddies out.)

"We periodically update our routers with the latest firmware to ensure it has the latest security enhancements, support tools, and bug fixes. During our most recent upgrade, we discovered a problem with your device Wi-Fi connectivity that we attributed to a feature called MAC filtering, which some customers use to identify which devices connect to their Wi-Fi network. 

To correct the issue, we will remotely disable MAC filtering on your Fios™ Quantum Gateway on or after March 11, 2019.  After we disable this feature, any device Wi-Fi connectivity issues related to MAC filtering will be eliminated, and MAC filtering will no longer be supported. 

In the meantime, if you‘re experiencing the issue detailed above, you can always reset your Fios Quantum Gateway to the factory setting which will correct this problem.  Factory resets can be completed by depressing the RED reset button on the back of your router for a minimum of 10 seconds.  Please note, a factory reset will erase all prior configurations. Any manual configurations you may have made to your router settings will need to be reconfigured once the reset is complete.

As a reminder, the best way to limit access to your Wi-Fi network is to protect your SSID and password, and only share it with devices/users that you trust.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

(We won't mention the long-standing issue of blocking Apple Airport Extremes from streaming video from FiOS STBs over WiFi.)

0 Likes
Re: FiOS Quantum G1100 / BHR4 Router - Missing the Advanced Filtering capability of the MI424WR
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Phrustrated wrote:

Now Verizon is downgrading their Quantum Gateway --- without the customer's consent or choice --- to remove MAC Address filtering. (Admittedly, MAC Address filtering can be circumvented, it helps keep nosey neighbors and script kiddies out.)

"We periodically update our routers with the latest firmware to ensure it has the latest security enhancements, support tools, and bug fixes. During our most recent upgrade, we discovered a problem with your device Wi-Fi connectivity that we attributed to a feature called MAC filtering, which some customers use to identify which devices connect to their Wi-Fi network. 

To correct the issue, we will remotely disable MAC filtering on your Fios™ Quantum Gateway on or after March 11, 2019.  After we disable this feature, any device Wi-Fi connectivity issues related to MAC filtering will be eliminated, and MAC filtering will no longer be supported. 

In the meantime, if you‘re experiencing the issue detailed above, you can always reset your Fios Quantum Gateway to the factory setting which will correct this problem.  Factory resets can be completed by depressing the RED reset button on the back of your router for a minimum of 10 seconds.  Please note, a factory reset will erase all prior configurations. Any manual configurations you may have made to your router settings will need to be reconfigured once the reset is complete.

As a reminder, the best way to limit access to your Wi-Fi network is to protect your SSID and password, and only share it with devices/users that you trust.

We apologize for any inconvenience."

(We won't mention the long-standing issue of blocking Apple Airport Extremes from streaming video from FiOS STBs over WiFi.)

According to this post MAC filtering will be back on in next firmware update. Just so you know MAC filters make your wlan less secure. It is very easy to bypass. The best thing is to have a strong WPA2 password. With up to 63 random characters of any type could literally take years to crack. 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Certificate-Error-Router-home-page-hacked-192-168-1-1/td...

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is a fabulous Password tool.

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Re: The Wireless MAC Authentication link has disappeared...?
Crimsy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any ETA when the next firmware will be pushed out. This is ridiculous that a non backwards compatible/breaking change was pushed onto us without consent. Despite the debates on whether or not MAC filtering is secure or not, it’s a choice that I as a consumer chose to use. It’s very disappointing to see that to fix an existing issue they chose to break/remove a feature. 

My G1100 was screwed up after firmware upgrade last night
vii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last week I received an email from Verizon informing me that they are going to improve my router by disabling MAC address filtering. Looks like last night they moved forward with that "improvement". Now half of my devices cannot connect to wifi. And of course that feature is not available in the router's menu anymore. I called customer support and talked to a bot asking me few stupid questions and after that was put on hold. After an hour of listening to very boring music the call was disconnected. In parallel I opened a chat window with them and it still saying "Waiting for a representative..." for more than 3 hours.

The fact that disabling a security feature can improve something itself sounds very goofy. However putting a buggy firmware upgrade is even worse.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on that? Ideally I would like to restore the previous version of firmware and lockdown the router so no **bleep** mess up with it ever.

0 Likes
Re: Certificate Error, Router home page hacked? (192.168.1.1)
vii
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon,

Can you provide steps how I can restore the original functionality?

My router was upgraded last night and now half of my devices cannot connect to wifi. Sure MAC address filtering disappeared from the menu.

Just think of that this way. MAC address filtering is used for the LAN which contains only private IPs. PRIVATE!!!! How can you change someone’s PRIVATE network settings without an authorization?

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is mainly a peer to peer support forum.

Verizon does not monitor or respond to these posts.

This is what I have seen:

To rectify, the customer will need to do a factory reset to gain Wi-FI connectivity again. Once the router has been reset the customer will be able to connect to their devices.

The customer will not be able to set MAC Filtering on the router until the 2.3 Firmware Update is available.

vii
Enthusiast - Level 2

With router factory reset I will lose all my settings and I have a lot of them. But the worst is it will not return MAC filtering back!

As for Verizon, they do not respond to phone calls, the do not answer chats, they do not have any support email address. And you are saying they are not monitoring forums. That is expected ).

Very sad. It is probably a good time to change ISP.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can reach them by twitter @verizonsupport

I have found them to be quite helpful and fairly responsive.

Yes, this will not resotre MAC filtering.

But I have read that it will be coming with the next release (unfortunately no time table)

Re: The Wireless MAC Authentication link has disappeared...?
Patmor2
Enthusiast - Level 1

What was the point of my making backups that the router now cannot read?!?  Some things I can redo but my custom forwarding rules, port numbers, routes and a host of other modifications (many of which I do not remember, and which took a lot of effort to get right) are all gone.  I can no longer access my NAS and surveillance system remotely (I started getting alerts that all my cameras were offline).

Why the hell would you remove MAC address filtering?  If you share your password with one person, what would prevent them from sharing it with someone else?  That was why I used MAC address filtering AND a  password!  My network is PRIVATE.  Why did you HACK me and and modify MY router (yes, I paid you upfront for it!!) without my knowledge?

I am so **bleep** right now I don't even know where to start.  Imagine, HACKED BY MY OWN ISP!!!