They want to charge me because I can't fix their battery unit for them
linsherman

The battery unit on my service started intermittently beeping (very annoying) a few days ago and the Replace Battery light came on, so I called support and spent an hour on the phone. They asked me to unplug the unit and open it and remove the terminals from the battery to "reboot" it. I couldn't remove the terminals because they are corroded on.

Then they told me the battery is "out of warranty", even though I've had the service only since Sept 1, 2014 -- less than 7 months. Your batteries last only six months? Of course not. I rent, and the battery unit was already installed for a previous tenant. But apparently it's my problem if I get an old, corroded battery unit left behind by someone else.

Then they told me they could send a technician out, but they couldn't guarantee I wouldn't be billed for it. I understand that people try to wriggle out of paying for service calls brought on by customers own actions, but I haven't done anything wrong. I haven't damaged this equipment. It should have been checked and the battery terminals cleaned when my service was installed, but the installers are contractors and they 

0 Likes
Re: They want to charge me because I can't fix their battery unit for them
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure if it would help you, but some wires to the batteries can be easily pulled out of the the bbu.  Then can take the whole battery out.  At your leasure you can decide if you can pull the wires off the battery.  For most units you can run without the battery and not get a beeping tone. 

0 Likes
Re: They want to charge me because I can't fix their battery unit for them
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't give batteries away anymore, even to new customers with new installs.

A battery will give you several hours of phone service.  If you don't care about having phone service during a power outage, then you don't need one.

If you want to buy a battery, you can find them at some big box home improvement stores, some hardware stores, and of course, online.  All will be cheaper than buying one from Verizon.

Good Luck.

Re: They want to charge me because I can't fix their bad battery unit for them
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Pull out the battery and using the back end of a screwdriver light tap the terminals off of the battery. You can buy a new battery online or you can buy one from Verizon for $40 plus shipping.

0 Likes