Toshiba FIOS connectivity
penifed

In the room with the router I can connect wirelessly. I move out of the room I stay connected, but can not access the internet. I have a Toshiba laptop A105 S2001. When I had DSL and a Linksys Router it connected fine from downstairs. I have used it in many places and been able to access the internet, but since the installation of FIOS and the Verizon modem/router I can not access the internet from downstairs. The message says limited connectivity. The Verizon troubleshooter said it was a WEP problem at the computer end, but when we turned off the WEP it still wouldn't connect so it is not a WEP problem. What next?

0 Likes
Re: Toshiba FIOS connectivity
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@penifed wrote:

In the room with the router I can connect wirelessly. I move out of the room I stay connected, but can not access the internet. I have a Toshiba laptop A105 S2001. When I had DSL and a Linksys Router it connected fine from downstairs. I have used it in many places and been able to access the internet, but since the installation of FIOS and the Verizon modem/router I can not access the internet from downstairs. The message says limited connectivity. The Verizon troubleshooter said it was a WEP problem at the computer end, but when we turned off the WEP it still wouldn't connect so it is not a WEP problem. What next?

Sounds like you are losing signal.  Do you have any signal strength when it says you are still connected but cannot access the internet?  Can you ping address 192.168.1.1 ?

Obviously not a wep issue as you can access with no issue from the same room.

You could connect the Linksys router to the Fios router, make sure they are on different subnets, and then use the Linksys as your wireless gateway

0 Likes
Re: Toshiba FIOS connectivity
Justin46
Legend

Two thoughts:

1) Could be an interferance issue from other wireless networks in your neighborhood or in-house things like 2.4 GHz cordless phones, mirrors,  microwave oven, etc. First thing I would do is log into the router and change the wireless channel to another one other than the one you are using. I have found that Channel 1 works very well for me, I had a couple of networks in the neighborhood that were causing some interference and nobody else was using Channel 1 (it also seems to avoid interference from 2.4 GHz cordless phones).

2) I had a Toshiba notebook and when using it wirelessly it sometimes had trouble keeping a connection. This notebook was 4 or 5 years old, I wound up downloading updated drivers for the wireless adapter in the notebook and bingo, the "signal fad" or whatever you want to call it disappeared.

It is not a WEP problem. But I would suggest you change from WEP to WPA or WPA2 sometime soon, they are much more secure than WEP.

Maybe one of thse will help.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes