Re: Trouble logging into my Verizon router.
Jambo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ugh. That's what I was afraid of.  Anyone know how bypass the phone call. Is there an email I can send?I am at work now and last time I called they refused to help me unless I was home (So they can have me reset my router to the defaults AGAIN).  Also how do I convince the phone support guys that me seeing other folks Moca STB devices, and IP devices is not normal(fyi that's how I figured out which neighbor I was dealing with, his laptop name showed up in my list of devices).. The last 3 guys I talked to, all said that is normal and I shouldn't worry about it!!

Anyway, all my IP traffic has been working perfectly. I set my router to 192.168.2.1 and use that range for everything.  I disconnect the coax to the box and it all is fine. The only devices I see are mine and everything is running great and. I don't see my STBs anymore, of course, but STB's are still running ok, so they are still connected to the neighbors router.. (yes the neighbor is in a different unit on a different floor).

0 Likes
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

Hey lasagna, can you send us a private msg with the number or the name and state of the account.   We need this to setup a tech visit and please let us know what date you like then we can check our system to see if its available for you. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Perhaps they can send you one of those filters. Or just drop one off. It would connect where the coax enters. It is just a short silver peice that look the asme as an attenuator. Now unles they are doing something different, I would think it should be done like this. Perhaps they are not doing this and everyone thinks it is ok.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so the STB"s are now "borrowing" your neighbor's internet connection.    Which means they'll work until your neighbor turns off his router for some reason.    If I were the neighbor I certainly wouldn't want this.

Sounds like VZ_Ron is offering to help if you send him a private message (VZ_Ron, you want Jambo, not my information).

Essentially ... I would tell the support person that you live in a multi-tenant facility and you are seeing your neighbor's LAN network on your LAN (not via wireless) -- that it would appear that the filters necessary to properly isolate your unit from your neighbors were not installed.    This is most definitely NOT a "expected" behavior.   Having other people on the "private" portion of your network is a major security issue.    WAN side -- yes.   LAN side -- definitely no.  Think you need to get past the  first line support people before that will resonate with someone, so I would try working thru VZ_Ron here first since perhaps he can shortcut some of that and get the technician visit scheduled to correct the problem.

Basically, you're looking for someone to say they need to install a filter to block the signal from your neighbor's router from entering your unit.

Jambo3
Enthusiast - Level 2

yeah!! Fixed for good now. Thanks for everyones help!

A (more experienced) Tech stopped by and we went down to the cable/phone and we both had a quick laugh. There was a filter in place all right, but it was placed before the splitter...So there was still nothing between my and my nieghbor. He quickly removed placed it were it belonged and added one on the neighbors coax too.

FYI The tech stopped by early, he was scheduled to come tomorrow, but he was about to drive home and and noticed that his repair ticket was so specific he said he took a chance it would be a quick one. The first thing he asked how did I know the filter was missing. I told him that internet forums are a wonderful thing. He was here less than 10 minutes.. I see my stb's and only my stuff. cool!

thanks!

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Excellent!  Glad we could help!

If you don't mind, if you would "unsolve" this thread and then remark it solved using one of the posts which ended up leading to the actual problem, it might help any future users who encounter a similar problem with finding the right solution.

prisaz
Legend

Cool. You would think perhaps the origional installer would know what the filter is for. Or perhaps they did not have enough filters and took what step they thought would work. Glad we could help, and that I have my own ONT that belongs to Verizon.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Jambo wrote:

yeah!! Fixed for good now. Thanks for everyones help!

A (more experienced) Tech stopped by and we went down to the cable/phone and we both had a quick laugh. There was a filter in place all right, but it was placed before the splitter...So there was still nothing between my and my nieghbor. He quickly removed placed it were it belonged and added one on the neighbors coax too.

FYI The tech stopped by early, he was scheduled to come tomorrow, but he was about to drive home and and noticed that his repair ticket was so specific he said he took a chance it would be a quick one. The first thing he asked how did I know the filter was missing. I told him that internet forums are a wonderful thing. He was here less than 10 minutes.. I see my stb's and only my stuff. cool!

thanks!

The forums are your friend. And Verizon does listen.Smiley Wink