Unable to send message: 451 Blocked
kpier

I use Chaos Intellect mail client to access my Verizon and non-Verizon e-mail.  I've had FiOS since Oct 2008.  Recently, as in the past week, I get the following message when trying to send mail from my non-Verizon e-mail accounts, "There are communication errors, Unable to send message: 451 Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?98.111.230.147"  The mail, of course, doesn't get sent.  I have no problem receiving any mail.  I checked spamcop and my domains are not listed, and their mail settings are correct.  I have to disconnect from FiOS and connect via my Verizon wireless broadband card.  There is no problem sending from the Verizon account.

How can I correct this so I can send non-Verizon e-mail when connected to FiOS?

Thank you, 

0 Likes
Re: Unable to send message: 451 Blocked
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

If you don't have a commercial account, off network access to port 25 is generally blocked, If you are trying to send email via something other than one of verizons SMTP servers, you are probably out of luck. Just about all the big service providers now block off network access to port 25 to prevent SPAM.

So if you non-verizon email accounts specify something other than outgoing.verizon, or one the verizon portals to yahoo, msn etc, as the SMTP server, it is blocked because access to port 25 off the verizon network is blocked.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

have a gander at the following:

http://www.aota.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20976 ,   http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35  ,  other than that, who can say?  What has recently changed?  New software?  re-install ? You state you are using "non-verizon e-mail accounts" and you said you are using those to access your "Verizon and non-verizon e-mail", so lets attempt to clarify this. It is a bit confusing:    If Verizon is your ISP, that means your outgoing servers (send) have to be set for (smtp) at <outgoing.verizon.net>      what can you add to clarify ?
0 Likes
kpier
Verizon is the ISP, I have verizon.net e-mail addresses ... outgoing.verizon.net, etc. and I have non-verizon e-mail, e.g,. johndoe@somedomain.com.  The outgoing mail to the non-verizon e-mail is blocked. 
0 Likes
kpier
Thank you.  So what I'm hearing is I'm wasting my money on FiOS internet since almost all e-mail I send and receive is non-verizon.  Is there a work around to this?
0 Likes
kpier
Thank you.  I read that link you provided.  The mail isn't being returned, its blocked from sending.  I checked all my domains and non are on a blacklist.  I guess I need to figure out how to change from port 25.
0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
I use outlook and I have my gmail set up to receive, but to send from the verizon stmp.  Did you try it that way?
0 Likes
kaitou
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you follow the spamcop link on the bl.shtml page (Information about reasons for listing...)?  It currently says that your IP address isn't blocked.  Nothing ever said anything about your domains being blocked.

You can also set your mail program to point to gmail's (or most other mail systems') mail submission port (465 with ssl, 587 without); these require authentication (see your provider for specifics, usually you provide your mail login and password for that site).

0 Likes
idburns
Enthusiast - Level 3

kpier,

You need to use Verizon's SMTP server for all outgoing mail, wether it's from a Verizon account or not.  SMTP servers don't care what mail they send.

Obviously you need to keep using your non-Verizon mail's POP server to receive that mail.

Message Edited by idburns on 04-01-2009 09:17 AM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@idburns wrote:

kpier,

You need to use Verizon's SMTP server for all outgoing mail, wether it's from a Verizon account or not.  SMTP servers don't care what mail they send.

Obviously you need to keep using your non-Verizon mail's POP server to receive that mail.

Message Edited by idburns on 04-01-2009 09:17 AM

Some SMTP server will block mail as spam if the from does not match the where from. Like me@isp.net from a SMTP server named verizon.net. Many do block mail like this, but some do not. If you need reliable mail then I would say not to do it. You can send it with the reply to set for the other pop server but it is still a pain. I like many don't think Verizon should be fighting spam from their outgoing server. If someone is spamming punish that account not all of them! If has not been an issue for me since I shutdown my remote mail account but there are services that offer alternate port SMTP with custom domain names.
0 Likes