Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

upgraded FIOS internet to 50/25 and now slower

logan8
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: upgraded FIOS internet to 50/25 and now slower

Message 11 of 21
(1,829 Views)

It is true he is not going to get his full 50 mbps wirelessly, but many customers on wireless g can get up to 35 - 45 depending on the circumstances. There are just so many factors to consider when it comes to wireless. For example the Verizon router has to be sending a strong signal to the computer, but the computer has to send its own broadcast back to the router. If using TCP/IP applications if packets are consistently dropped either way then they have to re-send those packets which is going to cause a major problem. That is why Verizon does not guarantie a wireless speed because many times the thing that could be causing slow wireless speed is out of Verizon's control. However I imagine that there are some things that we could try to get his speed up higher than 10 mbps.

mgoodwin09
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 12 of 21
(1,827 Views)

thank you all for your suggestions. minor problem is that i cannot hard-wire connect because i have no devices that do so. (macbook pro retina, iphone, etc.). 

i'm going to call a technician, maybe the router they supplied with the 15/5 can't support the 50/25.

logan8
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 13 of 21
(1,825 Views)

Every Verizon router can support that speed, not saying you don't need a new one. If you need a new router its because there is a physical defect, it is not a problem with router specs.

viafax999
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 14 of 21
(1,821 Views)

@logan8 wrote:

Every Verizon router can support that speed, not saying you don't need a new one. If you need a new router its because there is a physical defect, it is not a problem with router specs.

Yes true, for wired only.  Verizon only throws in the wireless part but doesn't say it will achieve the speeds paid for.

e.g. I have a 75/35 service with a Westell 8100em router, obviously there is no earthly way I can receive the max available on a wireless connection.  However I can manage it by adding my own Wireless-n router to the home network which is wired to the Westell.  A cheap solution and your own selected router is likely to have far better range than the Cerizon provided router - even if you go the attrociously expensive route of purchasing a Verizon Rev I router.

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 15 of 21
(1,804 Views)

@logan8 wrote:

Oh also there is a known issue with the actiontec routers if they are set to wifi channel 6 they will be really slow, make sure it is not on channel 6 (you would have to know how to log into your router settings or just call tech support)

Channel 6 is a problem mainly due to the fact that it is the default channel on all routers. Routers do have auto-scan, but if they don't detect a network on Channel 6 they will come up with that channel. Perhaps that's why it's performing poorly for you.

logan8
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 16 of 21
(1,784 Views)

No there is a known issue with the current firmware on the current actiontec routers Rev. F and Rev. I . When the router is on channel 6 and the customer is connecting with multiple devices at the same time the devices will intermittently loose wireless connection which also results in very slow speeds. I am not making this up, it was posted in Verizon Support Central at one time and I don't believe the firmware has been updated since then. Maybe they did fix it but if they did I never heard about it.

And when I said that every router supports that speed I basically meant that upgrading his router wasn't going to really help. Wireless G is theoretically capable for 54 mbps download so upgrading to the gen3 router isn't really needed unless he is going to go up to quantum 75.

mgoodwin09
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 17 of 21
(1,774 Views)

spoke to a verizon tech today and they reset my router and switched the channel. i just got home and its still at 9/5. they said if that doesn't work then it's not their problem unfortunately. this is a major bummer because now i'd rather cancel the service. 

i don't use a hard-wire connection because none of my devices are hard-wired, and not to mention it's 2013. 

the other solution is to maybe go to time warner? but i wonder at this point is it more because the space has some wifi interference? what kind of interference would there be? i put the laptop directly next to the router...

beetlejuice
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II

Message 18 of 21
(1,733 Views)

I just bought the rev. i router after having a Westell g router for almost 4 years.

I could pull in 50 mbps wired on it, but on wireless my laptop was only 18 down max and my cell phone couldnt pull in more then 8 down. I had to buy a new adapter for my laptop since it only could receive g band not n.

With the new router (on performance mode/n only) I'm getting more then 50 down wired, around 28 down wireless on my laptop, and an easy 50/35 on my cell phone.

I dont know whats causing your issues, but I'm sure getting what I'm paying for. Makes me wonder if its the servers verizon is connecting to in your area.

logan8
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 19 of 21
(1,681 Views)

I realize that most people use wireless devices nowadays, but how hard is it to do a hardwired connection test? ethernet cable is really cheap, if you need to borrow a neighbors laptop. I am just saying that it is so rediculous to keep banging your head against the wall and you will NEVER know if it is a verizon network problem or a wireless problem unless you test it both ways. You would go through the trouble of changing service providers but not the trouble of doing a simple hardwired test?

db909
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 20 of 21
(1,674 Views)

mgoodwin09 wrote:maybe the router they supplied with the 15/5 can't support the 50/25.

Ya think?

Post what kind of router you have.  If it is old and not N you are spinning your wheels.

As others have said ...borrow a Mac or a PC that has an ethernet port and test wired.  That will tell you real quick whether you have a wifi issue or not.    FIOS like other ISPs has zero control over your environment, channel contention from neighbors, or the wifi capabilities of devices you buy.

Good luck!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title