Upgraded to Gig service. What's up with support?
11D_Universe1
Enthusiast - Level 3

First, for the good news.  I just upgraded my speed from 300 to Gigabit.  Yesterday, I got about 900 down/450 up.   Not too shabby - though, upload should be more like 800.

I tried the speed test on the FIOS site.  It crashed a few times.  I also tried to contact tech support online.  Things just keep spinning, checking my account.

The in-home agent didn't change my upload speed.   I'll call next.  However, what's the deal with the website?

0 Likes
Re:Upgraded to Gig service. What's up with support?
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

What browser are you using? 

I use Firefox (latest version 53.0) and sometimes My Verizon and other Verizon sites have a problem with Firefox. When trying to log in, the log in process will go into a continuos loop or fail with an error message about the link to access the site is too long or has unrecognized characters.

Using Chrome or Edge, this never happens.  In Firefox, I just close Firefox. Then after 30 seconds or so reopen it and go directly to the Verizon page I want to access and can log in with no problem.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@11D_Universe wrote:

First, for the good news.  I just upgraded my speed from 300 to Gigabit.  Yesterday, I got about 900 down/450 up.   Not too shabby - though, upload should be more like 800.

I tried the speed test on the FIOS site.  It crashed a few times.  I also tried to contact tech support online.  Things just keep spinning, checking my account.

The in-home agent didn't change my upload speed.   I'll call next.  However, what's the deal with the website?

Ha ha yeah it's great speed. I am seeing 940/820 which is acceptable.

however yesterday I was seeing 334/403 and I called in. The guy first started off with a comment which I took as a joke. He said you had 150/150 and now you are pulling in 105% more download and 203 upload speeds are you are actually complaining? I laughed because I assumed he had to be joking.

i said if I pay extra for a speed at 1024/1024 I don't see losing 70% of that speed to be a joke. 

He was very polite and said turn off the router, the ont, turn off all devices all 24 of them I may add and turn the ont back on, then the router (my router) and just turn on my laptop or desktop and go to the Fios speed site. I went and did a test and it timed out, I did another and it timed out. The guy on my cell phone then said wait for him to reset everything from his location.

we ran a test yet again. This time it was 960/832 and I said I think it did the trick.

however I told him to hold on. I went to beta.speedtest.net and the speeds were showing as 560/777 and I tested yet again and it showed 340/520 again totally unacceptable.

i was told Verizon Fios only went by their test site and did not recognize any other test sites. I later found the high speed numbers from Verizon are a closed channel so it will naturally show high speed to their proprietary server.

speedtest.net is out to actual web sites and it is affected by slow sites and bottlenecks on the net so the numbers will be lower.

in any case my numbers today are 950/830 so it's not too bad. But have verizon troubleshoot if it's lower than what you are paying for.

0 Likes
georgeramosjr

I had a similar issue. The speed on the Verizon speed test site was like 900/800

on Speedtest.net it was like 500/300.

what is the fastest speed you pulled hard wired and testing on Speedtest.net or a non Verizon Speedtest side?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@georgeramosjr wrote:

I had a similar issue. The speed on the Verizon speed test site was like 900/800

on Speedtest.net it was like 500/300.

what is the fastest speed you pulled hard wired and testing on Speedtest.net or a non Verizon Speedtest side?

540/710 last night. However if you go into a store and they are selling a dozen eggs you would not accept 10 and then say "thats ok I will accept 10 out of 12" for a higher price. Internet connectivity is not a 100% given. 

However when you are paying premium prices for gigabyte speeds you should get them. Or close to them. In the speed test from Verizon Fios is in a closed situation is not really accurate. 

But it is fast, and fios is not asking you to keep it if you don't want it.

0 Likes
c634life

i can't even get working right now seen 300/300 at best. 

post link verizon test page please.

0 Likes
Re: Upgraded to Gig service. Good news, bad news. What's up with support?
jonjones1
Legend

@c634life wrote:

i can't even get working right now seen 300/300 at best. 

post link verizon test page please.

https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

Still getting a great speed. Even over my wifi and its faster hard wired. 

0 Likes
c634life

the test keep saying Test Failed but what router you using anyway ??? 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@c634life wrote:

the test keep saying Test Failed but what router you using anyway ??? 

I use my own. Netgear Nighthawk R8500 

i do have a Quantum Gateway G1100 for tech support issues. Both routers work perfectly.

that test failed time out has been reported on another site and what happens is if you call 1-800-VERIZON and get tech support they can reset your router and ONT to see if that will get your speed to where it should be.

if the Quantum Gateway is what your using then Verizon may send you another one if the one you have is faulty. If the ONT is faulty they will send out a tech to replace it or repair it.

if you are using your own router Verizon may not do anything other than run a diagnostic as to connection issues. If your own owner owned router you will have to either rent a Quantum from Verizon Fios or buy it from them or elsewhere or buy a new modem from another manufacturer.

0 Likes
c634life

i may cancel Gig Speed back to 150/150 on smart phone getting 350/350 which ok speed on desktop getting around 50 down.

i am thinking only way would work getting Fios Router With my OWN TRI Band Router which is EA 9500.

Test Page Failed need fios router to make it work.

LINKSYS EA9500 MAX-STREAMâ AC5400 MU-MIMO GIGABIT WI-FI ROUTER

0 Likes