Upgrading To Gigabit Service
nsoltz

I currently have 75/75 service with ONT in basement but my router on second floor over MoCA with coax in the walls down to basement from recent remodel of most of house. Also have coax internally to dvr "server" and two other remote set to boxes. Also have Cat6 in the walls to router for smart-TV functions.

What might my options be to upgrade to Gig service?

There is probably no way to run Cat6 through the wall to the new ONT. And do not wish to run a cable on the outside of the house and through the wall to the second floor home studio where my router and other gear reside.

Would really like to upgrade but all that Verizon sales will say on the phone is "place your order and the tech will tell you if it is possible."

Any ideas appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrading To Gigabit Service
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't say what kind of DVR server you're talking about ... Verizon's or perhaps a TiVO (or similar)?

Easiest answer unless you don't want to use Verizon equipment:

1. Upgrade service and install new router near the ONT direct connected via Ethernet.  You will also need to connect the coax cable plant to the router as well.

2. Also rent/purchase from Vz a Network Extender and connect it to the coax in your office location.  This will bridge the two locations and extend the wifi network to that location as well as give you an ethernet connection in your office (to which you can connect a switch if you need more ports).

-------

You can also do this by using an ActionTec ECB6200 at the office end of the connection instead and a router of your own choosing configured in access point mode in the office.

Note that if you use a single ECB6200,  anything behind that link will be constrained to MoCA 2.0 (500mb/s) and not the full gig.  If you instead use a bonded pair of ECB6200's -- one at the router and one at the office -- you will get just shy of a full gig.   Using the Vz router if it's the newer one which uses MoCA 2.5, you will get full bandwidth and then some.

I use my own router instead of Vz's and a bonded pair of ECB6200's to backhaul. the link up to my office from the basement.   I also use an isolated cable plant for this link and separate in-house cable plant for connecting from my router to my TiVO's (since that run older MoCA 1.1 and I've had issues where the presence of these slower devices has cause the ECB6200's to fall back to that slower speed when talking to each other -- 200mb/s).

Re: Upgrading To Gigabit Service
nsoltz

Thank you. Pardon if this is duplicate reply since I do not believe first attempt posted.

So to game this out...

In basement I have ONT with 4 Coax splits-- 3 to TVs and 1 to office to connect to router. In office, WiFi router with ethernet to switch with about 10 devices on that switch including ethernet to the smart tv's.

Idea would be to install Gig and take ethernet to router, coax to ECB6200 (Moca 2.5 version). In office, connect the otherbonded ECB6200 to Coax and then ethernet to switch. Install WiFi extender somewhere in house to reach from basement to 4th floor of house. Am I missing something? Many thanks

0 Likes