Using my own router, keeping FIOS TV working, stopping renting FIOS modem
cameronjones

My apologies in advance, because I'm sure this question is answered somewhere on these forums, but I've been looking around for 2 days and have even been pointed to the supposed gold standard guide of how to do it, but I still don't have the answer.  The key is, how to get rid of the FIOS modem rental fee but keep TV working.  The post I was pointed to said this:

"

If you don't want to pay the rental fee for the Verizon router, you can purchase a standalone MoCA adapter such as this Aciontec one: http://a.co/0AUXdWo (Or optionally, you can find some cheap used Verizon Aciontec routers on ebay).

• Simply connect the Coax cable from your old Verizon router to the MoCA adapter, and then connect an ethernet cable between a LAN port on your router to the MoCA adapter's ethernet port. Reboot the set top boxes after the MoCA adapter has been connected and ensure they function as intended."

But, as you can see (I think?) - that doesn't describe getting rid of the modem, amazingly.  Now maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but "your old Verizon router" is the modem/router you're renting, right?  So that process doesn't eliminate the modem.  Now, the idea of buying a used one on ebay hadn't occurred to me, so that's definitely interesting.  If I was to buy a used FIOS modem, would I then just plug it into power and coax anywhere in the house?  Or does it need to be plugged only into ethernet and power?  The verizon ONT actually doesn't wire into the household coax network, only directly through the brick by the TV, so does the purchased FIOS modem need to live there specifically, plugged into the coax from the ONT?

Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using my own router, keeping FIOS TV working, stopping renting FIOS modem
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes the Verizon router you are renting is what you will be replacing. What you do is take the ethernet WAN cable out of your Verizon router and that will plug that into the WAN port of your newly purchased router. Once you do this the FiOS TV set-top boxes will loose the Guide/On Demand because that can’t get internet access without coax. That why a MoCA adapter is needed. Once your nee router is up an running connect ethernet from the LAN port to the MOCA adapter ethernet port and the coax that was connected to the Verizon router will now connect to the MoCA adapter coax port. Reboot your set-top boxes and then will get an IP address from your router. The you can send back that Verizon router and get rid of rental fee. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes the Verizon router you are renting is what you will be replacing. What you do is take the ethernet WAN cable out of your Verizon router and that will plug that into the WAN port of your newly purchased router. Once you do this the FiOS TV set-top boxes will loose the Guide/On Demand because that can’t get internet access without coax. That why a MoCA adapter is needed. Once your nee router is up an running connect ethernet from the LAN port to the MOCA adapter ethernet port and the coax that was connected to the Verizon router will now connect to the MoCA adapter coax port. Reboot your set-top boxes and then will get an IP address from your router. The you can send back that Verizon router and get rid of rental fee. 

cameronjones

OK, I think i get it now - I had to read it 10x because I was thinking you were talking about buying a used FIOS modem AND a MOCA adapter.  But you're not talking about buying an old FIOS modem at all.  

Moca adapters are pretty expensive - looking like $60 for "Motorola MOCA Adapter for Ethernet Over Coax, 1,000 Mbps Bonded 2.0 MoCA (Model MM1000)" on Amazon, while an old Actiontec FIOS modem would only run like $20.  Would the old used FIOS modem do the job as well?  Or is it just smarter to go with the MoCA adapter?  Thanks!

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-my-own-router-keeping-FIOS-TV-working-stopping-ren...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can use an old router as a mica adapter.

you will need to Google on home to configure it.

What model stbs domyou have?

If you have the new FiOS one hardware, you can't use the remotes via WiFi on anything other than FiOS router.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Cameronjpu wrote:

OK, I think i get it now - I had to read it 10x because I was thinking you were talking about buying a used FIOS modem AND a MOCA adapter.  But you're not talking about buying an old FIOS modem at all.  

Moca adapters are pretty expensive - looking like $60 for "Motorola MOCA Adapter for Ethernet Over Coax, 1,000 Mbps Bonded 2.0 MoCA (Model MM1000)" on Amazon, while an old Actiontec FIOS modem would only run like $20.  Would the old used FIOS modem do the job as well?  Or is it just smarter to go with the MoCA adapter?  Thanks!

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-my-own-router-keeping-FIOS-TV-working-stopping-ren...

I just assumed you meant you were getting your own router. But if you buy a Verizon one then you don't need the MoCA adapter. 

Like other poster said you can also configure a Verizon router to work as a MoCA adapter  as well.

cameronjones

Sorry I've been mixing my terminology.  I'll try to use modem only when referring to the fios modem/router, and router when referring to my google wifi router.

So yes, I am hoping to replace my old, rented FIOS modem with a used, owned (red trim model) FIOS modem, just to keep the guide data working.

I have only 1 cable box, and it's not the new FIOS One model.  Not sure the model because I'm not at home right now, if it does still matter I can check, but it sounds like it only mattered if it was a Fios One box.

The other poster said "you will need to Google on home to configure it" but i'm not following what that means. 

0 Likes
c5bill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Although I haven't actually returned the G1100 router, I found the easiest way to replace it is to use an Actiontec MI42WR Rev I (gigabit ports) with WiFi disabled and then add your own AC1900 (or better) access point. Everything works fine but you loose some of the functionlity provied by the Fios app for router management and speed testing.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Of sure if you are just using that term for differentiation or technical.

Verizon does not use modems. Their devices are pure router. They just happen to have a moca interface as well.

Sorry for the auto correct. Meant to type Google on how to configure the router you bought as a moca adapter.

Ska10

Forgive me if I’m hijacking this, I feel I have a fairly similar question. 

I currently have fios internet only with my google Wifi connected directly to the ONT via Ethernet. I’m adding fios TV in the coming weeks. I would like to avoid renting a fios router. If I purchase a MoCA adapter (link below), can I avoid the fios router?

thanks

Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7OBUU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2WBVCb5NE37XX

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are going to use FiOS stbs, you will need FiOS router to activate them.

And if you are getting new FiOS one hardware, you can only use FiOS routers to support wireless connectivity for stb.

You will need to know how to configure router per the thread that mentions how to use your own router with FiOS stb.