Using Own Router
Aldurfus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I'm trying to set up my own router with internet alone (no TV or phone). I've read and followed the stickied post but I'm having no luck. I'm trying to connct an ASUS AC1900 Dual Band router directly to the ONT.

My router was initially installed (1 year ago) with an ethernet cable running from the ONT to the Quantum router. I've never had a coax cable. 

I've tried resetting my DHCP through verizon's router, unplugging overnight, and cmd prompt. When connecting the ASUS router, it gives me an IP address but I still have no internet.

Not sure if this matters, but may be helpful. The "Connection-specific DNS suffix" is blank when connecting the Asus router but says verizon.net when connected to the Fios router. 

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if any more information is needed.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using Own Router
jonjones1
Legend

After you release the dhcp (release/renew) you don’t let the Verizon router get another IP address. You plug the new one into the power first. Then let the Asus boot up and then plug in the ethernet to the WAN port not a LAN port.

you can then look and see if you are up and running.

if there is no DNS simply hit the reset button on the Asus or log into the router and use the routers set up utility.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

After you release the dhcp (release/renew) you don’t let the Verizon router get another IP address. You plug the new one into the power first. Then let the Asus boot up and then plug in the ethernet to the WAN port not a LAN port.

you can then look and see if you are up and running.

if there is no DNS simply hit the reset button on the Asus or log into the router and use the routers set up utility.

Aldurfus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the reply. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

What I've been doing is:

1. release/renew dhcp with the verizon router plugged in.

2. as soon as it has renewed, unplug verizon router's power and WAN

3. Plug WAN and LAN (to desktop) into ASUS router (already booted up)

4. Go to ASUS page to setup the router where it says i have no WAN plugged in. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

With the Verizon router plugged in, go into the routers settings 192.168.1.1 and do the dhcp release. Pull the plug. After clicking the release tab. Don’t let it boot up, pull the plug quickly out of the Verizon router.

then take your own router and plug into the power connection. Have nothing plugged into your Asus yet. After the power is on the Asus you will then plug in the ethernet cable from your ONT into the WAN port on your router. Look at the flashing lights on the router. When the router is fully booted up, plug in an ethernet cable into LAN port one, plug the other end into your laptop or desktop computer. 

You should have internet connectivity. But if you access the GUI on the new router it should show as being connected. From the interface you then can set up the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands via changing the SSID names to something you like, it’s also a good idea to change the passwords to something you can easily remember.

after that just hit exit on the router and you should be ok after fresh settings reboot.

it really takes me longer to explain than to actually do the task.

Aldurfus
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I've tried this a few dozen times both in the router settings and cmd. The WAN light never illuminates nor do I ever get a connection. Not sure if I have a faulty router or what. I had my own router working back when I had the service first installed.

Any other suggestions? If not, I'll probably return the router. 

Again, I really appreciate your time and replies. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

No WAN light. I believe you should try getting another router.

there is a way of connecting your computer directly to the ONT to see if there is internet. 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of questions/comments:

1) I assume you are getting Internet via ethernet to your verizon router?

2) One way to see if you router is working, hook an ethernet cable from lan port of Fios router to Wan port of new router. Do you get link light? If you connect to that router, does it show a Wan IP as well as DNS entries?

Aldurfus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you both for the replies. I get internet when i directly connect the ONT to the computer and through the Fios router. I tried connecting an ethernet from the WAN of the new router to a LAN port on the verizon router and I get nothing. I believe there is an issue with the WAN port on the ASUS router. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Asus makes good products. So let’s try this.

unplug the Verizon router completely. Go out and shop or go to sleep overnight with no router plugged in. Verizons routers release DNS within 3 hours.

in morning plugin Asus to power. Let it power up completely. Then take the ethernet cable from the ONT plug into Asus WAN PORT no LAN what so ever.

look at Asus to see when the internet light is solid white.

then plug in a ethernet cable into the Asus routers LAN port. No WAN leave that alone.

if your Asus received DNS your computer should have internet connectivity.

you don’t need the Verizon router at all. 

Aldurfus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you again for the reply. I actually tried this a few days ago and same ordeal, no internet. 

I also have a new Asus router on the way. Should be here tomorrow. We will see how that goes. 

0 Likes