Verify serial number of G3100 bought online
UnlistedNumber

I bought a new, open box (so it was claimed) G3100 on Mercari.  The seller appears legit, and carries closeout items bought from other retailers.  However, reading through some of the posts here, there's reason for me to be concerned that this might be a VZ non-returned router, or a rental unit.

Is there anyway for me to verify the status of this router based on the serial number?  Or do I just plug it in and wait for the fallout?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verify serial number of G3100 bought online
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep in mind as long as you do not have FIOS TV, you are welcome to use any NAT router that you want to as your primary NAT router - after you switch to ethernet (at the ONT end and your NAT router end). And keeping in mind that they will only support up to the ONT if you use your own NAT router as primary.

If you have have FIOS TV, then it matters if it is not just FIOS TV - it is FIOS TV One (or what it is called. ex FIOS One TV). With FIOS TV One it is not possible at all to use your own NAT router as primary. This is only as I heard/read, as I do not or ever had FIOS.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just chat with a CSR with the S/N.

UnlistedNumber

I spent 15 minutes in an online chat, and I'm not sure I know anything more at this point.  I specifically started the chat asking if they could check the serial number of a G3100 I had purchased used and which I hadn't plugged into the network yet.  The CSR proceeded to check the MI424WR that's connected to my service.

I asked the CSR to reread my question, and the response was that off course the G3100 is okay, Verizon would not sell a router that doesn't work with their system.

As I did at the beginning of the chat, I explained that I didn't buy it from Verizon, and could they check the serial number. This time, the CSR asked for the serial number.

The response was that the serial number wasn't showing up, because they can't verify non-Verizon product. Well, I'm not sure if that means this router isn't VZ-owned, and is okay to use, or if the CSR did not search for it properly.

So, at this point, I either plug it in and hope for the best, or I try again tomorrow night with a different CSR.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep in mind as long as you do not have FIOS TV, you are welcome to use any NAT router that you want to as your primary NAT router - after you switch to ethernet (at the ONT end and your NAT router end). And keeping in mind that they will only support up to the ONT if you use your own NAT router as primary.

If you have have FIOS TV, then it matters if it is not just FIOS TV - it is FIOS TV One (or what it is called. ex FIOS One TV). With FIOS TV One it is not possible at all to use your own NAT router as primary. This is only as I heard/read, as I do not or ever had FIOS.