Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Verizon comon...

Reply
Nattan
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎03-15-2013

Verizon comon...

Message 1 of 7
(1,075 Views)

You need to fix your connection with youtube. I have an 75Mb/s connection and I am buffering videos at 150Kb/s... Honestly what the hell. Iam seriously debating switching service because of this crap. I hate buffering videos and the fact that i have to wait 5 minutes just to watch a 1080p video is REDICILOUS! 

 

 

I am not basing my 150Kb/s off this graph I do have a internal network bandwidth monitor. It is averaging 150 from youtube. And before you say, well duh turn down the quality. I will say what {word filter avoidance} am I paying for a 75Mb/s connection if I cant even stream 1080p then

 

blah.png

6 REPLIES 6
anonFios
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 132
Registered: ‎01-08-2013

Re: Verizon comon...

Message 2 of 7
(992 Views)

@Nattan wrote:

You need to fix your connection with youtube. I have an 75Mb/s connection and I am buffering videos at 150Kb/s... Honestly what the hell. Iam seriously debating switching service because of this crap. I hate buffering videos and the fact that i have to wait 5 minutes just to watch a 1080p video is REDICILOUS! 

 

 

I am not basing my 150Kb/s off this graph I do have a internal network bandwidth monitor. It is averaging 150 from youtube. And before you say, well duh turn down the quality. I will say what {word filter avoidance} am I paying for a 75Mb/s connection if I cant even stream 1080p then

 

blah.png


 

Switch services.

 

It's been well known and documented that Verizon Fios has trouble streaming services such as YouTube and Netflix in HD as well as significantly slower speeds with other services like Steam.

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 7,611
Registered: ‎12-15-2010

Re: Verizon comon...

Message 3 of 7
(955 Views)

@anonFios wrote:

@Nattan wrote:

You need to fix your connection with youtube. I have an 75Mb/s connection and I am buffering videos at 150Kb/s... Honestly what the hell. Iam seriously debating switching service because of this crap. I hate buffering videos and the fact that i have to wait 5 minutes just to watch a 1080p video is REDICILOUS! 

 

 

I am not basing my 150Kb/s off this graph I do have a internal network bandwidth monitor. It is averaging 150 from youtube. And before you say, well duh turn down the quality. I will say what {word filter avoidance} am I paying for a 75Mb/s connection if I cant even stream 1080p then

 

blah.png


 

Switch services.

 

It's been well known and documented that Verizon Fios has trouble streaming services such as YouTube and Netflix in HD as well as significantly slower speeds with other services like Steam.


What? Steam works beautifully on FiOS, and there's caches on-network. 18.5MB/s on days where huge TF2 updates are not being pushed out all at once. The cable company in my area has problems, though. You have to jump between the New York and Chicago regions depending on the time of day or night it is to even get 1.5MB/s sustained.

Namronorman
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: Verizon comon...

Message 4 of 7
(950 Views)

Steam Cloud uses Cogent.

 

cloud-2.steampowered.com comes up as cogent for me.

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 7,611
Registered: ‎12-15-2010

Re: Verizon comon...

Message 5 of 7
(939 Views)

@Namronorman wrote:

Steam Cloud uses Cogent.

 

cloud-2.steampowered.com comes up as cogent for me.


Right, so I'll give that one to you. The Steam Cloud serving platform hits Cogent on my end as well. The actual downloads from Steam, for games goes from AlterNet (Verizon Business) right to Limelight Networks (a CDN provider) for me, though. I suppose it helps to be on the right page 🙂

Namronorman
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: Verizon comon...

Message 6 of 7
(920 Views)

I couldn't imagine what it'd be like having to download games through Cogent with Verizon being Verizon. Still a bummer about the cloud stuff though. Saves and screenshots take quite a bit of time.

SaimonSL
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎08-17-2013

Re: Verizon comon...

Message 7 of 7
(818 Views)

Nattan get Optimum if its available in your area. I just got Verizon Fios today and during peak hours its very slow. With optimum even at their lowest speed package 15mbps/5mbps was more reliable and faster then Fios during the peak time. It is not about how much more speed, its about who has better load balancers and smart connection reroutes. I am going to switch back to Optimum at the end of this month if my connection speed issue is not resolved by then. I shoppose to get 75mbps down and 35mbps up and I end up getting 6mbps down duting the peak time.

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title