Verizon FIOS Problem Resolved Bravo Zulu Ashburn VA
RedRock
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just like any other business, when you get to know the Verizon service people who actually do the repair work and their supervisor, as I have here in the Leesburg area, you can get results.  This is a long story and I won't tell all of it, but it started in July 2011 when I resolved to get rid of a FIOS business data service connection and go with a FIOS residental bundle (much much cheaper).  At first it seemed everyone I spoke to in Verizon's service organization was stunned, dazed, and confused by the fact that there are -two- ONTs, on -two- separate fiber runs here at the -same- physical address (like an apartment building without separate service/billing addresses).  Once I got past that, and starting working with the techs and their supervisor, with a bit of patience and perseverance on my part, I was ultimately able to get results.  So in this case I can report that although my experience was pretty frustrating at times, I did finally get to a resolution.  (I'm not sure where or how I found my patience, but that effort on my part it was worth it.)

It appears all is solid now. Router replaced with a 3rdGen unit. It also turns out that the defunct business data connection router was still connected. That was what was causing the IP address conflicts I was seeing using Wireshark, and, I believe, also causing the router at my end to periodically reset and re-initiate its own upstream DHCP connection, thereby blocking/dropping the one on my side until it was re-initiated (I was seeing entries in the router log to that effect). This makes sense particularly since all services with the exception of digital voice (including the network feed to the defunct business data router) are now consolidated onto one ONT.  Still have two ONTs on the house, but not complaining about that -- there's room for more and that's not hurting anything at all.  My experience has been that once set up properly, FIOS data service is stable (at least mine has been prior to July 2011) as a rock for years.  Looking forward to that again now.  

To all Thanks for the help.  So Bravo Zulu to Verizon service -- Navy flag signal for "Job well done."

Now that I have all their cel phone numbers as well as the area supervisor's email address, I think I'll save those in my address book ... 

RedRock

Ashburn VA