VIsta Wireless Problems with New FIOS Install July 2009
Steve_Patti
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently had FIOS telephone, INternet andTV intstalled.  All was well except on my Vitsa laptop I cannot maintain a steady wireless conneciton with the Actiontec MI424WR router.  I hit the Web and found out that many have had this complaint and that there is an ongoing conversation about whose fault the problem is.  I had flawless service under TIme- Warner with my Vista Wireless so I did not intially assign blame to Vista or my laptop.  I do recall the Verizon installer mentinoed "problems with Vista" but he did not elaborate.  I spent all day yesterday researching and attempting every fix suggested on numerous web sites.  All failed except one.  

Essentially, I now use my LinkSys Router in front of the Actiontec MI424WR router.  I found the instructions to do this on numerous web sites after researching FIOS Vista wireless problems.  The LinkSys router handles only wireless.  Now my Vista laptop never drops a connection.  I still have acess to FIOS TV guide and on demand so the fix did not interfere with FIOS router TV functions.

THe bottom line is that it would appear that there is a problem with the Actiontec MI424WR router and Vista.  Fortunately for me I had the Linksys ROuter available.  Verizon - you need to look into this.  Based on what I have experienced I cannot recommend FIOS internet for those with VIsta computers until tjhis is addressed.

From what I have researched, Verizon claims it is a Vista problem.  Beta testors of WIndows 7 have reported the same issues with FIOS and Actiontec MI424WR router.  My experience and that of others who have devised the fix I employed would clearly suggest that Verizon needs to look into this and get this problem solved.

Steve B.

Re: VIsta Wireless Problems with New FIOS Install July 2009
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I've read a little about this in the past and quite honestly I'm really not sure what the problems people are experiencing with Vista.  We have an HP laptop with Vista and never had a problem with connecting wirelessly to the actiontec router.  A few folks have talked about software they've installed from Verizon to get the laptop to talk to the router.  I have not installed any verizon software except the media manager which works without a hitch.   I've changed the default WEP to WPA with a pre-shared key and manually configured these settings on my vista laptop and connect flawlessly.  As a matter of fact the actiontec router replaced a Linksys wireless 54-g router when I switched to FIOS and the connect is better with the actiontec router.

What kind of problems are being experienced?  did you install any Verizon software?

0 Likes
Steve_Patti
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not install any Verizon software.  The Router is located on the second floor.  The connection would constantly drop every five seconds or so.  When I hooked back up to the Liknsys the wireless connection was fine.  T  How far is you laptop from the router?

Steve

0 Likes
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have never had a problem with Vista on the actiontech router either. I am about 20 feet from the router. My PC is using a linksys wireless network card. My wifes Macintosh which in the same location as my pc had problems but once I changed the chanel on the router everything was fine.

Do you still have a connection problem if you are located right next to the router?

0 Likes
Steve_Patti
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the router works well when I am in the same room.  Whne I moved the laptop downstairs it was terrible. Since I had the linksys router it was no additinoal expense and it works much better thatn the one suplpied by verizon.

Steve

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

My neighbor had a similar issue. When trying to figure it out we found out that there is a problem with some of the Intel drivers when connecting to some g class routers. We upgraded the wireless drivers on the computer and bingo the problem went away. This was on an Intel-R pro  wireless.  If you have Intel-R pro wireless on your computer, try upgrading to the current driver set and see if that helps you too. 

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng    and then input the device number to search for a driver

0 Likes