what do you do when logging into your router and get message "too many attempts, try later" ?
drxray
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: what do you do when logging into your router and get message "too many attempts, try later&
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

umm... try later?

If you've forgotten your password, you'll need to do a factory reset.  You haven't told us the model of router you have, so I don't know the exact process.  If you have a typical FiOS Actiontec MI424WR, you can  reset to factory defaults by pressing the reset button (use a paper clip) for 10 seconds.  The password will now match what is printed on the router's label.  Note all settings, including WiFi, will be reset as well.

If you need more help, tell us the specific model and revision of your router.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: what do you do when logging into your router and get message "too many attempts, try later&
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

umm... try later?

If you've forgotten your password, you'll need to do a factory reset.  You haven't told us the model of router you have, so I don't know the exact process.  If you have a typical FiOS Actiontec MI424WR, you can  reset to factory defaults by pressing the reset button (use a paper clip) for 10 seconds.  The password will now match what is printed on the router's label.  Note all settings, including WiFi, will be reset as well.

Good Luck

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

umm... try later?

Good Luck

The password will now match what is printed on the router's label.

Is that a fact? Would kind of suggest that every firmware is unique.  Whenever I've done a factory reset the userid is admin and I've been prompted to enter a password of my choice.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

Is that a fact? Would kind of suggest that every firmware is unique.  Whenever I've done a factory reset the userid is admin and I've been prompted to enter a password of my choice.

Yes, it is a fact for the routers Verizon has deployed for the last several years.  Since the OP didn't tell us anything about the equipment in question, we are forced to guess.  I chose to go with the most likely scenario and described my assumption.  If the OP wants more accurate information he/she needs to provide us with more data.

Have Fun

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

HELPFUL INFORMATION WHEN YOU POST

It would be very helpful to try and answer any questions you have if you add some information to your profile.

You need to do this only once and it will be available to all each time you post on any VZ Forum

AFTER YOU SIGN IN...GO TO

My Settings

Personal Information

Signature...This is a good place to add what equipment and services you have

Location ... County and State....some of the answers might depend on what area you live in.

PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE IN SHARING WITH THE VZ COMMUNITY

0 Likes
marveljz

I tried to go into my router with the saved password and username that I have in LastPass and got the "Login has been temporarily disabled due to too many unsuccessful login attempts.  Please try again later"

My larger concern is that it was my first attempt in a few weeks or so to go in there.  Can someone log in remotely?  I had issues with an ex-roomie who liked to spy with remote access and spyware.

I have an Actiontec MI424WR Rev 1 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@marveljz wrote:

I tried to go into my router with the saved password and username that I have in LastPass and got the "Login has been temporarily disabled due to too many unsuccessful login attempts.  Please try again later"

My larger concern is that it was my first attempt in a few weeks or so to go in there.  Can someone log in remotely?  I had issues with an ex-roomie who liked to spy with remote access and spyware.

I have an Actiontec MI424WR Rev 1 

reset the router to factory defaults and use whatever the default password is - see comments earlier in this thread.  After logging on change the userid and password and make sure remote admin is turned off.

0 Likes
lovejesus1

im trying to change my routers password wifi connection.  i fear that someone is using my password to connect to the internet. when i log in to http:/192.168.1.1 i use the user name in the box and password. then it always say to many attempts try again later. when i go back say in about two hours or so. says the same thing. can you please help me solve these issues.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lovejesus wrote:

im trying to change my routers password wifi connection.  i fear that someone is using my password to connect to the internet. when i log in to http:/192.168.1.1 i use the user name in the box and password. then it always say to many attempts try again later. when i go back say in about two hours or so. says the same thing. can you please help me solve these issues.

Answer to original question wait some time.  I think its 10 minutes.

Unless you changed it the userid is "admin"  and the password is either printed on the sticker (not the passkey or passphrase) or is the serial number.  You can reset it, losing any changes you previously made, by pressing the recessed button for about 10 seconds.  When reset various models of the router do different things.

• password is not set and asks you to set it
  • password is reset to password listed on the sticker
  • password is changed to "password"
  • Haven't seen it but may be reset to serial number.
0 Likes