Where do they put ONT??? in apartment
Chas19
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am moving to a new apartment complex and I have a install day for 8/25  for TV and internet and was just trying to figure out where they are going to install the battery back up inside the apartment.  I saw a video where a couple had the huge box installed right next to their entertainment center.  I am on the end of a building on the bottom floor.  Any guess please let me know..

Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Where do they put ONT??? in apartment
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what you need to ask the apartment complex.   If by "wired" they mean that the fiber terminates in a common area in the building, then all that equipment goes in the common area.   If by "wired" they mean there is coax into every room -- then a seperate ONT and battery unit may be installed.

Installing it on the wall in the middle of a living room seems a little strange to me.  Since the battery has to connect to the ONT (which is an externally mounted  device -- at least in all the installations I've seen) it has to be physically close to where the ONT is mounted outside the unit.  I would find it very unlikely they would mount all that hardware on the wall of an interior room.

In my case (albeit, I live in a single family house), the battery backup is on the wall in my garage -- and the installer worked with me to place it exactly where I wanted it -- just as long as it was within a reasonable distance of the ONT mounted on the outside wall at the Dmark.

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you know where the current Dmark box is for the regular telephone line that enters the apartment?   That's usually where it goes.  The battery backup usually goes very near where the phone line from the Dmark box enters the building (inside) -- and you (or in this case the apartment complex) are responsible for insure there is a power outlet nearby.

You should probably call the apartment complex and ask them.   Usually Verizon already has an agreement with them for where service is located (in fact, many apartment complexes have a common area in a multi-tenant building where the Verizon equipment is located and your service is then cross connected at that location and delivered to your apartment via a Coax connection.

0 Likes
Chas19
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know when I talked to Verizon she said that it showed they had the building wired already that there is a spot somwhere they would run the service from.  I was just worried the big boxes would be in the middle of the living room.  The bedrooms are on the outside walls and living room is on the inside.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the apartment is already wired for FiOS, then you'll typically get set top boxes for each TV (about 19"x2"x8" -- usually sit on a shelf in your entertainment center below your TV) that you order service for and a router for the Internet (about 8"x5"x1").

0 Likes
Chas19
Enthusiast - Level 2

so i wont have the big battery back up stuff on the wall in my unit then?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's what you need to ask the apartment complex.   If by "wired" they mean that the fiber terminates in a common area in the building, then all that equipment goes in the common area.   If by "wired" they mean there is coax into every room -- then a seperate ONT and battery unit may be installed.

Installing it on the wall in the middle of a living room seems a little strange to me.  Since the battery has to connect to the ONT (which is an externally mounted  device -- at least in all the installations I've seen) it has to be physically close to where the ONT is mounted outside the unit.  I would find it very unlikely they would mount all that hardware on the wall of an interior room.

In my case (albeit, I live in a single family house), the battery backup is on the wall in my garage -- and the installer worked with me to place it exactly where I wanted it -- just as long as it was within a reasonable distance of the ONT mounted on the outside wall at the Dmark.

Chas19
Enthusiast - Level 2

Cool thanks as you can see I have no clue what I am talking about and I have till 8/20 to move till the new place and 8/25 for my install.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually there are two different kinds of ONT's. Internally mounted and Externally mounted. The Internally mounted ONT's tend to be a little bit smaller (due to not having to be weatherproofed).

Most apartments either get individual ONT's mounted in the apt itself or a MDU (Multi-dwelling unit) that is installed in a common area and shared with multiple apartments. Most of the time, apartments will get the individual units. These are mounted in a closet if at all possible, but could actually be mounted anywhere in the apartment as needed for local bulding/electrical code. The ones that get the MDU's usually have the ONT mounted in the utility room for the complex and nothing is installed in the individual apartments. The only problem with this set up is that if the ONT has an issue, then everyone in the bulding will have issues, instead of the individual.

This all boils down to which type will be installed in your particualar complex.