Where to report a DoS/DDoS Attack
Felicia4

So last night some random person through Xbox Live messaged me and said if I didn't give him in game currency for a specific game he was going to DDoS/Dos (Distributed/Denial of Service) me. Of course I blew him off and just got off for the night. However he was serious and he did effectively boot me off of my WiFi. This is in fact illegal and multiple people and forums have told me I need to report this to my ISP - Verizon. However I have talked to 5 or 6 different customer service representatives over the course of 4 different phone calls. None of them know what a DoS even is nor what department/person i need to talk to to report this. If a representative who does know what I can do sees this I would appreciate some help getting this reported so Verizon can decide whether or not to follow up on this. Again I remind you that this is something illegal and something that should be followed up on however it is ulitmately up to verizon to decide this. Thank You

0 Likes
Re: Where to report a DoS/DDoS Attack
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is mainly a peer to peer support forum.

Not sure how he could have booted you off your wifi.

He can sned lots of traffic to your router and impair internet access, but don't think that will cause your wifi to drop.

Not sure of protocol for this, but either call 1800Verizon and ask for technical support.

Or contact them on twitter @verizonsupport.

Do you have anything other than their screen name?

Not sure what Verizon can do with that.

Have you reached out to game technical support?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Try abuse@verizon.com or abuse@verizon.net or noc@verizon.net or noc@verizon.com

these use to be very effective.

in your router logs there will be the offenders isp listed. You actually would send your report to them.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Found this..never had to use it

ABUSE VERIZON REPORT SITE

https://www.webiron.com/abuse_feed/abuse@verizon.net

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Same as I gave 😀

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

Try abuse@verizon.com or abuse@verizon.net or noc@verizon.net or noc@verizon.com

these use to be very effective.

in your router logs there will be the offenders isp listed. You actually would send your report to them.

This post is correct. Please report the activity even if you do not have the IP address of the attacker or know whether or not the attacker used Verizon.

The problem with console games is that most rely on a peer to peer system for voice communication and party systems. Sometimes game hosting is handled peer to peer. As such, anyone who knows how to tcpdump or sniff traffic can cause some trouble.

If the attack is still ongoing, Verizon may work with you to analyze your web traffic to track down the source.