Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
timo888

I just signed up for FIOS.  I set up my mail client to use the outgoing.verizon.net SMTP server and sent a few test emails to various addresses I use.   It took 22 minutes for one of the emails to arrive. Looking at the headers, it appears to have been picked up at mailsrvcs.net as the first hop (@ 15 minutes past the hour) and then it arrived at the target domain (secureserver.net) 22 minutes later, having passed through some limbo at vms173005pub.verizon.net. What is the relationship between mailsrvcs.net and verizon.net? And why was there a 22 minute delay? 

Received: from vms173005pub.verizon.net ([206.46.173.5])
(envelope-sender <xxx.xxxx@yahoo.com>)
by pre-smtp09-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP
for <xxxx@xxxxxxxx.com>; 16 Jun 2009 13:37:36 -0000
Received: from [192.168.xx.xx] ([###.##.###.###]) by vms173005.mailsrvcs.net
(Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.3-7.04 (built Sep 26 2008; 32bit))
with ESMTPA id <0KLC00K6O24V6J20@vms173005.mailsrvcs.net> for
xxxx@xxxxxxxx.com; Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:15:02 -0500 (CDT)
0 Likes
Problem Sending eMail through Outlook - all messages delayed in Verizon POP-3 Account!
pfergione

I am having a very difficult time resolving an issue using Outlook as my main e-mail application for my newly installed FiOS service.

The FiOS package was installed today.

Everything works except the problem I'm having in sending e-mails through Outlook. I receive e-mails perfectly. However, when sending emails, there is a delay of anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours before the email is received by the addressee.

My configuration is:

- Windows Vista Business (SP1)

- Outlook 2007

My POP-3 Settings are as follows:

Incoming mail server: incoming.verizon.net

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net

Require Loging using Secure Password Authentication: left unchecked

Under More Settings ..., Outgoing Server Tab

My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication: checked

Use same settings as incoming mail server: checked

Under More Settings ...: Advanced Tab

Incoming server (POP-3): 110

Outgoing server (SMTP): 25

Use the following type of encrypted connection: none

A few notes:

- There is no delay when sending the email through Verizon's webmail

- There is no delay when I select the "Test Account Settings" button in the Outlook Account Settings dialog box (the Test Message is sent and received right away).

Every time I call Verizon Tech Support, they say that Verizon does not support 3rd party software like Outlook. They told me to call Microsoft. How can this be? How can Verizon not support one of the most popular email applications on the planet?

How can this be a Microsoft problem, when Outlook works perfectly with my Comcast account and my work POP-3 account?

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Please help - Verizon Tech Support cannot - and I am going to have to cancel and go back to Comcast if I cannot get Verizon to work with Outlook. I cannot have my sent emails delayed 30 minutes to 3 hours when using Outlook.

Thanks in advance ...

0 Likes
Re: Problem Sending eMail through Outlook - all messages delayed in Verizon POP-3 Account!
timo888
I believe the problem is not with your setup but internal to Verizon on their servers. I just had a 22 minute delay (see my post near yours).  Check the mail headers on the delayed messages and see if you can discern any clues.
0 Likes
Re: Problem Sending eMail through Outlook - all messages delayed in Verizon POP-3 Account!
pfergione

Thanks for replying !!!

This is driving me crazy. I was actually experiencing a delay sending from Verizon Central (webmail) this morning (5-10 minute delay before the email showed up). I don't experience any delay when sending from Verizon to another Verizon user. Called Tech Support AGAIN this morning and they elevated the issue to Tier 2. The delay sending from Verizon Central seems to have vanished.

I am still having a delay problem sending through Outlook (13 minutes, 20 minutes, 3 hours).

I did switch the Outgoing server port to 587. No difference.

How do I check the headers?

And what "clues" would I be looking for?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Re: Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
pfergione

We seem to be having the same problem. My FiOS was installed yesterday as well.

I have called Tech Support 4-5 times without acceptable results (very frustrating!). I keep getting told that Verizon does not support Outlook. I understand that Outlook is 3rd Party Software (from Verizon's perspective) but how can Verizon offer ISP service without having it work with the most popular e-mail application in the country?

Could it be that we are the only users having this problem with Outlook?

Outlook works flawlessly with my other e-mail accounts (including Comcast, which I switched over from, but is still active). My Veruzon Account is the only e-mail account that I experience a delay sending e-mails from.

UGH !!!!! 

0 Likes
Re: Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
pfergione

I am getting the same header info:

Received: from imta04.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net (XXXX
 XXXX.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net) (##.##.##) by
 XXXXXXX.wc.mail.comcast.net with LMTP; Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:08:08 +0000 (UTC)

Received: from vms173005pub.verizon.net ([206.46.173.5])
 by XXXXX.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net with comcast
 id 4dyi1c02D07LuPA04e85F1; Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:08:07 +0000
X-Authority-Analysis: XXXXXXX

Received: from XXXXXXX ([##.##.##.##]) by vms173005.mailsrvcs.net
 (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.3-7.04 (built Sep 26 2008; 32bit))
 with ESMTPA id <0KLC007CZ4139X10@vms173005.mailsrvcs.net> for
XXXXXXXX@comcast.net; Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:55:52 -0500 (CDT)

0 Likes
timo888

This is not a mail client issue. I'm using Thunderbird, not Outlook.  The problem is that there is delay between MAILSRVCS.NET server and the other Verizon server.

BTW,  I looked up MAILSRVCS.NET on WHOIS and Verizon is the registrant. 

Res ipsa loquitur.

0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

mailsrvs.net is the server than handles the outgoing mail. It relays the email to it's proper destination. Think of email like regular mail, you want to send a letter, so you mail it out, and it goes to the post office (mailsrvs.net) then to it's destination.

It's the same way with email. It's probably moving slow because they could possibly be doing some maintenace, etc.

There is no need to panic, it will buff itself out. It does happen from time to time.

I've had it happen before with Time Warner Cable, FiOS, Charter Cable, and Comcast.

Also, remember the disclosure when you signed up for FiOS. "The actual speeds you experience could vary based on your computers configuration, the speed of the website servers you visit, amung other factors. Actual connection and throughput speeds, and the uninterupted use of the service are not garunteed."

Just keep checking it from time to time and it should return to normal. But do keep in mind, when mailsrvs.net has to contact the mail server you are sending to, the comunication between could be delayed.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

I see most of you are having this problem shortly after your service is installed. Most of the time, when getting a new email, it does take up to maybe 48 hours for your email to be fully set up and configured on the server. Also, it is NOT an outlook or email software problem... It's server related.

If your email is not fully setup on the server, then your emails will be delayed. Also, if the server is moving slow, it will have a big delay. Wait a few days and try again, if it's still hapening then call tech support.

Delivery speed all depends on how fast the verizon mail server comunicates with the mail server you are trying to send to. If the server you are sending to is slow that day, it will delay the email, if the verizon server is slow that day, it will delay the email.

It could just be a fluke day, or the fact you just had the service installed, and your email setup isn't finished yet.

I'll say it again, it is NOT a software problem. The problem lies in the server end of verizon.

timo888

It appears the Verizon mail servers are overburdened. Subsequent tests show a 10-minute delay between one Verizon server and the next Verizon server.  Unacceptably slow, given the way I use email. Very often, there are people waiting for a response. How can V be selling a product known for speed (fiber-optic) and then offer such slow performance?  Verizon should buy some faster mail servers to match their fast fiber-optic switching equipment, so that each server has a smaller load. Disk drives are mechanical (i.e. SLOW) hardware devices. But an ISP is only as good as its slowest most burdened components.  You don't win many races with three rabbits and a turtle on your 400 meter relay team.

0 Likes