Re: Sent an email 12 hours ago, it still hasn't arrived
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Timo888,

Keeping everything in one thread will help me help you faster post in your first thread

0 Likes
Re: Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
yruhere_steve
We've been having the same problem as well, the delay ranges from 20~30 minutes to 4~5 hrs. Strangely, it seems like when I use Verizon's SMTP server to send to Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, and Gmail, I've seem to be able to received the email almost immediately. However, when it's sent to other mail servers, ours (bluehost) as well as our vendors, the delay occurs. I tried using both an email client (Outlook 2003 in my case) as well as via netmail.verizon.net, same problem occurs.
0 Likes
Re: Problem Sending eMail through Outlook - all messages delayed in Verizon POP-3 Account!
pfergione

So here is my question – why hasn’t there been a greater outcry?

Forgive my ignorance of the technology, but how does this all work?

Everyone who is using Outlook puts their POP-3 settings into the application. For the outgoing server, we all point to “outgoing.verizon.net.”

I am assuming that this is not one super-gigantic e-mail server that handles all of the e-mails sent out from the entire Verizon community, correct? If it were, there would be a story on CNBC and FBN about how Verizon customers were all flooding in to complain about their e-mails being delayed.

So I assume that Verizon owns multiple servers and the one that I (and others who posted on this thread) am assigned to has some sort of problem that is causing the e-mails to be delayed. Is that a safe assumption?

So, if this is the case, then isn’t it a matter of moving/assigning the existing users to a more problem-free server, and then bringing down the problem server and troubleshooting it?

Or am I oversimplifying the problem?

Here’s my status: I switched over to Verizon from Comcast on Monday. Thank God I left my Comcast account active because I have sent about 60-70 e-mails from my new Verizon account, and about 5 of them actually arrived at their destination immediately. All of the others were delayed anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 hours (I kid you not). So, the blazing fast FiOS connection – for e-mail … not so much.

If this is not resolved soon, I’ll have no other recourse than to switch back to Comcast.

Will setting up a Gmail account solve this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
BostonDelayed

This email delivery delay is insane! I just spoke with customer support, the rep said they've identified the problem and that it's been an issue for a couple weeks now, but they have no idea when it will be fixed. I pay an arm and a leg for FIOS as it is, that kind of response is unacceptable. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am returning to Com{please keep your posts courteous}. As much as I hate them, email delay was NEVER an issue and they are cheaper. 

As a contractor, I depend on email reliability. This has cost me BIG TIME in terms of my clients this week. But I'm sure as a corporate giant, Verizon couldn't care less.

Message Edited by KaLin on 06-18-2009 03:49 PM
0 Likes
BostonDelayed

In response to:

"I am assuming that this is not one super-gigantic e-mail server that handles all of the e-mails sent out from the entire Verizon community, correct? If it were, there would be a story on CNBC and FBN about how Verizon customers were all flooding in to complain about their e-mails being delayed."

Actually, it is a pretty significant problem. The reason why it hasn't gotten attention is because customers are slowly finding out the hard way. It looks to me like Verizon bit off more than it could chew in bandwidth due to their aggressive marketing of FIOS. The delays are random. If it was a situation of a plain old outage, everyone would be talking.

In this case it's a matter of the press needing to be notified- which is what I do for a living. Of course, I'll have to actually call Telephony, Telecommunications Magazine, America's Network, The Wall Street Journal, etc. because who knows if the reporters would actually get my emails...!

Comcast's PR department is going to have a field day with this, considering they were getting clobbered by Verizon in terms of publicity for the last year.

0 Likes
bbranco

Sounds like the right approach to me...

I had a tech call me on Tuesday at 12:30 pm - told him the problems said give it a day and would call me back on Wedneday around the same time - guess what?  No call from them...

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@BostonDelayed wrote:

In response to:

"I am assuming that this is not one super-gigantic e-mail server that handles all of the e-mails sent out from the entire Verizon community, correct? If it were, there would be a story on CNBC and FBN about how Verizon customers were all flooding in to complain about their e-mails being delayed."

Actually, it is a pretty significant problem. The reason why it hasn't gotten attention is because customers are slowly finding out the hard way. It looks to me like Verizon bit off more than it could chew in bandwidth due to their aggressive marketing of FIOS. The delays are random. If it was a situation of a plain old outage, everyone would be talking.

In this case it's a matter of the press needing to be notified- which is what I do for a living. Of course, I'll have to actually call Telephony, Telecommunications Magazine, America's Network, The Wall Street Journal, etc. because who knows if the reporters would actually get my emails...!

Comcast's PR department is going to have a field day with this, considering they were getting clobbered by Verizon in terms of publicity for the last year.

Perhaps it's a denial of service attack from comcast to Verizon's mail servers. Just kidding. I am sure that it is being fixed but I agree it should not take this long. There have been a few people that have provided the information requested, I myself as one. My email has been 99.9% reliable for the last six plus years with Verizon. Yesterday I started having the same issue and sent information in a private Email showing a 10 hour delay and the route the mail took. So it should be fixed soon, if not already.

0 Likes
BostonDelayed

When I first saw this forum thread, I had hoped that since this had been going on a while, it'd be fixed quickly. But today's calls with tech support sent that confidence down the drain. And I quote, "Apparently this has been going on for a couple of weeks and they figured out the problem. But right now they have no idea when it will be fixed. I really can't give you an estimate, except that they are working on it."

I nearly dropped the phone. I'm a consultant who's emails go through Verizon. I had no clue anything was wrong until I was informed on Wednesday that I missed a Monday deadline. Turned out my email I sent at 12:20 p.m. this past Monday arrived about 11:30 a.m. WEDNESDAY!

Then I had a call yesterday where my client said, "Please send me an email with the follow-up items after our call." I did.

FOUR HOURS LATER I get an email, "We're waiting on you, please send the list ASAP..."

I had to create a Gmail account to send everything, which made me look unprofessional.

I've been a FIOS subscriber for several years. All of my services are under Verizon. I'm really disgusted that they weren't proactive in notifying us of a very serious problem that's been going on for two weeks. Instead, they just figured if they ignored it, maybe it wouldn't turn into an issue.

0 Likes
bbranco

I signed up for this service... it seems to be working fine - but now I am sending a copy of every email to me so I can make sure it goes out and comes in.

http://www.authsmtp.com/?gclid=CKHkiKyNlZsCFeFM5QodXEZupg

0 Likes
BostonDelayed

Thank you for sharing that! It looks like the bandaid we all need for now.

I think Verizon should provide this to all of the affected customers. It would be cheaper than the financial losses that will result in all of us switching to Comcast.

0 Likes