Why is Verizon Shaping my bandwidth?
njalvino
Enthusiast - Level 2

In refrence to a thread we were discussing on my other forum, http://testmy.net/ipb/topic/30731-multithread/ , also see http://testmy.net/ipb/topic/30757-fios-7535/ .  the second 

The only way to use my fios connection to its actual potential is to multithread. It is not possible to send or recieve a file to a single user at any kind of decent speeds. i feel this is wrong, especially when we are paying over $370 a month for our services.  

" Me likes the multithread :)

alos, i know Verizon is bandwidth shaping- I use dc++ to share files. i usualy am part of 10 or more hubs at a time with 40 upload slots available. If a user is getting a file from me its usually between 200 and 900 kbs. if that user happens to be in , lets say 6 other hubs that im ALSO in, they will have access to 6 of my slots. in which they now have 6 uploads coming from me at 200 -900 kbs each slot. Verizon will not allow me to max my upload to 1 user unless in multiple streams."

That is a quote from myself - thus proving the shaping of bandwidth. 

So again, as the topic header states, why is Verizon shaping the bandwidth we pay so dearly for with every last dime?? 

Pics: 

Single stream & multistream:

Multistream:

0 Likes
Re: Why is Verizon Shaping my bandwidth?
njalvino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can i get any input on this matter? Anyone from verizon lurking these forums with any kind of insite?

Your help/knowledge is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
njalvino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its been a month now, anyone?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm looking at something concerning upload speeds from Verizon to other networks, but without having a FiOS connection handy 24/7 it is proving difficult. To be sure, have you considered other factors, including TCP Receive Windows and transfers performed via UDP instead of TCP? These are all networking related terms, protocols to be exact. UDP should be able to get higher speeds as it is a stateless protocol, but it is also less reliable compared to TCP.

There have also been some problems between Verizon and other transit providers when it comes down to performance as of late, but so far the most notable ones have been Cogent, who is always in the news for this stuff.

njalvino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smith6612 - Thanks alot for the reply. Im extemely sure my home networking is running the correct parameters. The tcp/udp windows, MTU, DMz & port fowarding is all cherry. i've been doing networking and network optimization (client side) for quite some time. All computers , cell phones, tablets, gaming systems, printers, basically anything connecting to the internet is/ has been optimized. I have my own optimal settings, & HAVE  tried FIOS optimizer as well. Speeds are Not  an issue in this case, other then the laughable upload speed. ( i get 19mbit of my "promised" 35 mbit upload)

Speeds are not the issue. its how the speeds are obtained. If im sending my friend a file over Aol instant messenger for example, he will get a speed of *mabey* 400kb/s.  If i open 4 versions of AIM, and transfer 4 files to him , hes now getting 1.6 Mb/s from me.  If the bandwidth was not being shaped, he should idealy be getting 5.63 mb/s from me instantly , no matter how many files are being sent..... 1 or 1200. And this particular person who i was testing this with, Is a verizon fios customeras well. has nothing to do with the ISP to ISP transfer.

Their has to be some logical reason why verizon will only allow maximum output ( again, which we pay out the {word filter avoidance} for) on numerous connections, and not on our every day surfing where we neeed it the most. Like simple picture uploading , simple single file transfers.  The upload should AUTO max to your assigned service cap , the same way your download does. period. 

its quite iritating to continue to pay this $365.00 a month service bill and still continue to be diked around by hush hush tech support. 

0 Likes
click4dylan
Contributor - Level 1

You are the only other person who has acknowledged this problem other than me. This has been the case since about 2008 or 2009. I used to be able to send files to people over places like MSN, skype, and upload to youtube at the full speed everytime (I sent a 2GB RAR file in 2008 over msn to someone overseas in the UK in under 15 minutes. Nowadays it would take all day or longer). Now people are lucky to get 300 KB/s from me unless they use multiple connections. Verizon will always blame it on 'if it's outside our network, we can't do anything about it'. The only time you will ever receive anywhere near the rated speed on one connection is if the other end is using FIOS as well, and that's if it didn't decide to pick a ridiculous route like it does here most of the time.

njalvino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly my point. Verizon tells me they only guarentee speeds "within our network". Well last i checked , i pay for INTERNET. Not Intranet. Speeds within the verizon network is absolutely pointless to me. I transfer files to people around the world, not to my local network. Transfering files to computers on your network @ 29mb/s is fantastic, but what about the rest of the world? 

Bottom line is,  its unfair to pay more and more for faster speeds if you cannot use them on a daily basis. Seems to me like comcast with their "bandwidth caps" is more reasonable than having massive speed caps than we cannot obtain. I have the 75 / 35 package and on the upload side ill see @ best, with multiple streams , 21 mb/s. - Single streams on the other hand 1.0 -> 1.3 mb/s . Thats rediculous. 

Id really like some input from verizon if possible on this.. If theirs a reasonable explanation, ill take it. 

0 Likes
njalvino
Enthusiast - Level 2

This thread was started over 2 months ago and still no viable answers.. Is this a difficult topic or just being dodged by Verizon? Can this be addressed or not?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@njalvino wrote:

This thread was started over 2 months ago and still no viable answers.. Is this a difficult topic or just being dodged by Verizon? Can this be addressed or not?

Think your issue may be that this is just a peer support group.  You may want to contect Verizon customer service or tech support to get an answer.

Personally I've never had any difficulty transferring files at high speeds and have regularly sent and received files, to and from Europe and Africa, up to 30gb in size with no slow downs.

njalvino
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon support says they only gaurentee speeds within their network.  Thats a {word filter avoidance}  answer, because we pay for internet. not intranet. Noone can homnestly tell me why Verizon FIOS shapes peoples bandwidth, but horrible companies like COMCAST does not. My friend on comcast is downloading a file from a single-stream line right now at about 68-70Mbps. - When completed i also download this file, currently getting barely 4Mbps. We are dam near the same distance from the server - geographically. The tracert is also pretty sweet, 9 hops at 49ms. Clean route as well. 

Point is verizon is shaping the bandwidth and honestly, @ $300 a month we are paying for these services ill **bleep** drop them all soon, and go to Comi-cast if they at least lets you USE what your paying for. 

Thanks Verizon!

0 Likes