WiFi Drops to 1mbps Randomly w/G3100
kdi1082
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I am on my second G3100, second E3200, and second ONT. I am running into the same issues I've had with the original units. At random times throughout the day, my WiFi speeds will drop from 300mbps to about 1mbps and a ping between 160-250. It does this for 5-10 minutes, then goes back to normal speeds. Wired (both ethernet and MoCa) have no issues and give me no interruptions. 

Any fixes for this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi Drops to 1mbps Randomly w/G3100
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have devices like Sonos, Chromecast, or anything utilizing Time Machine (Apple)? it sounds like you may be having an issue with broadcast traffic on the network from time to time. Broadcast traffic on Wi-Fi is typically broadcast at 1Mbps, the slowest possible rate for Wi-Fi to operate at, and G3100 doesn't allow for you to manually specify the minimum rate.

Also, check your wired connections. Make sure they work solidly, first of all, and you're seeing the Gigabit service as you would expect. If you have a switch or anything else of the sort in your house, ensure you're following a tree topology and not interconnecting more than one port from the G3100 to a Switch/device, and vice versa for any switch to any other device. If you're using MoCA Adapters anywhere in the house, ensure they also aren't causing connections to loop back to your router's Ethernet ports directly.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

My two cents.

#1 Why your Wi-Fi is slow 

#2 And my other cent.

a) Use wired.

b) Use wireless when and where you have to. For example for Smart Phone(s)

OR different wording with the same meaning: If you want speed / reliability, go wired. If you want convenience, go wireless.

kdi1082
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife is a teacher and when the wireless signal drops out, her classes freeze. This is a big problem. Wired is not an option for her, so I am hoping that someone with this issue was able to find a resolution. 

I have upgraded to gigabit internet and spent over $550 on a router/extender combo that were advertised as having a fast AND reliable wireless connection. If I have to reconnect my G1100, or go wired only, that is just money down the drain.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kdi1082 wrote:

My wife is a teacher and when the wireless signal drops out, her classes freeze. This is a big problem. Wired is not an option for her, so I am hoping that someone with this issue was able to find a resolution. 

I will give more of my cents.

It would help for a wired connection there is more than one type.

Fiber

Ethernet

Moca - standing for using existing TV wire as a network.

HomePna - standing for using existing phone wire as a network.

HomePlug - standing for using existing power line wire as a network.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Q1 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

Please note for this next question even if you have another one that is not use, you must say so. For example: Yes, but it is a spare.

Q2 Do you have a separate router?

Please note for this next question: One of the NICs must be a wired NIC and it should not be a portable type of computer (ex: a laptop).

Q3 Do you have spare computer that works that either has two NICs or you could add a second NIC?

kdi1082
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FiOS TV, not sure why that matters in this case. I swapped out the G3100 this weekend for my old G1100 and had no issues with drops during those two days. I reconnected the G3100 this morning and have already experienced a drop to almost 0mbps. 

This is not an issue with my service or connected wireless devices, this is an issue with the router itself.

0 Likes
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

have you turned off SON feature on the G3100?

kdi1082
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, SON is off. Also tried different channels in case there was interference, but that also did not resolve the issue. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have devices like Sonos, Chromecast, or anything utilizing Time Machine (Apple)? it sounds like you may be having an issue with broadcast traffic on the network from time to time. Broadcast traffic on Wi-Fi is typically broadcast at 1Mbps, the slowest possible rate for Wi-Fi to operate at, and G3100 doesn't allow for you to manually specify the minimum rate.

Also, check your wired connections. Make sure they work solidly, first of all, and you're seeing the Gigabit service as you would expect. If you have a switch or anything else of the sort in your house, ensure you're following a tree topology and not interconnecting more than one port from the G3100 to a Switch/device, and vice versa for any switch to any other device. If you're using MoCA Adapters anywhere in the house, ensure they also aren't causing connections to loop back to your router's Ethernet ports directly.

kdi1082
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wired is getting gigabit speeds w/no drops. Even after disconnecting E3200 extender, drop happened this morning. Just going to switch back to my G1100 for stability and try to sell my G3100 and E3200 since I am past the return window.

Thanks for your assistance