Wireless Modem
Satch2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to turn off the wireless feature of verizon's modem so it want broadcast the silly network name (EXOM5). How do I do this?

(I have my own wireless modem I prefer to use)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless Modem
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You have to login to the Verizon router to change it's settings. 

Open a browser window.

Enter http://192.168.1.1

Enter the user name and password.

Then either follow the directions I posted above if you want to disable the wireless on the Actiontec,

or follow viafax999's instructions if you want to leave the Actiontec radio on and just want to change the SSID.

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1
  • Click on the Wireless settings icon at the top.
  • Click Basic Security Settings from the left menu.
  • Select the Wireless Off radio button
  • Apply
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Satch wrote:

I'd like to turn off the wireless feature of verizon's modem so it want broadcast the silly network name (EXOM5). How do I do this?

(I have my own wireless modem I prefer to use)

You could just change the "silly" name

Router admin

Wireless

Basic security

change the SSID

Nothing to stop you having more than 1 wap in your setup.

This of course may depend on how you intend to connect you own router, I presume that's what you mean by wireless modem, into the mix.

0 Likes
Satch2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think you understand. I use a Mac. There's no Router Admin. I don't want to turn off my computer's wireless capability. I want to turn off the router's wireless feature and use it as an ordinary router. 

(I've connected my AirPort to it and it works fine)

I've got a half dozen waps. I don't want anymore. it's not obvious how to change the name. I don't think you can.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You have to login to the Verizon router to change it's settings. 

Open a browser window.

Enter http://192.168.1.1

Enter the user name and password.

Then either follow the directions I posted above if you want to disable the wireless on the Actiontec,

or follow viafax999's instructions if you want to leave the Actiontec radio on and just want to change the SSID.

jiannacconi

I am trying to do the same thing and set up time capsule, which I will use as a wireless router.

When I click on the IP address you provided it is asking me for a user id and password. What user id and password shall I use?

Jane

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@jiannacconi wrote:

When I click on the IP address you provided it is asking me for a user id and password. What user id and password shall I use?

See the following FAQ:

I can't login to the VZ router

0 Likes