Xbox lag please help
Kyleconrad989
How can i lower my ping (for xbox) i already use an ethernet cable so dont suggest that. Also how can i fix my conmection i lag all the time now amd its making games like cod impossible to play and im really thinking about switching providers if it doesnt stop the live chat is awful because they have no clue what they are talking about and only suggest rebooting my router (which does absolutly nothing).
Question 1-how can i lower my ping
Q2-how to stop lag
Q3- how do i set up qos
Q4- will buying an even better speed package lower my ping at all?
I currently own the 75 up and down one
0 Likes
Re: Xbox lag please help
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi there, if you're hardwired, there's not a lot you can do physically to lower the ping beyond that.   For CoD you want to set up port forwarding,  I didn't notice you mention it, and if you haven't set up portforwarding, then that is your first step and that likely will fix a lot of the issues you have.

Before you do the port forwarding, make sure to give your Xbox a Fixed/Static IP Address in the router.  Instructions found here.

Here are the ports that need to be forwarded to change your NAT type from strict/moderate to open.

Black Ops - TCP&UDP (3074)
Steam - UDP (2700, 27015-27030)
Steam - TCP (27014-27050)

The "-" signifies a range ergo 27015-27030 would be all Ports between the two numbers. (Ex. 27015, 27016, 27017......27030)

You can do this through your router's Firewall settings.  

Instructions are found here.

For QoS - XboxGuy nailed down all the settings, so you can take a look at that thread, and mimic his settings in your router.

Actiontec MI424WR rev G router and xbox live best settings Quality of Service (QoS)by XboxGuy in

Kyleconrad989
When i select specify numbers dont pop up what should i do and also what category should i choose because when i click add because theres a drop down bar
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you're talking about the port forwarding, then definitely stick with the top pull downs. 

Hopefully you did the static IP.  it's not a deal breaker, but it prevents future problems

So select your IP or xbox from the first drop down.

the second drop down and select custom ports

the next drop down select TCP&UDP or both and then enter 3074 in the next box and hit add.
then change tcp/udp and make it say UDP and in the next box enter 2700, 27015-27030 and hit add
Then change UDP to say TCP and enter 27014-27050 and hit add

Refresh is at the bottom, and keep refreshing until it says ACTIVE next to your new rules

So when it's done it should say (as an example) TCP ANY -> 27014-27050 

the key is that it says ANY -> and then the ports that you entered.

0 Likes
Kyleconrad989
Thanks and it also has another drop down bar when i click traffic shaping what should i choose
0 Likes
Kyleconrad989
And sinse numbers dont show up when i chose specify should i just do unlimited? (Its for the tx bandwith for qps)
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Those are more QOS related,   I'm not terribly good with it,   I'll take a look at that guys thread and see if I can figure it out for you, or someone else might come by with some help.   

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Resd the thread and the recommendation is unlimited
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
*read*

Sorry still trying to wake up
0 Likes