Re: You can bridge the Fios Quantum Gateway Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some people prefer to have their Internet come in via Etherent (especially if they don't have TV service and don't have coax run from their ONT to where their router is located).

Or I believe at higher speeds, you have to do Internet via Ethernet.

0 Likes
rosse27

Hi, I have an Airport Extreme system already set up with the Fios Actiontec MI424-WR router. Having agreed to a 2 year contract extension to FIOS triple play, they sent me a Quantum, but require that I pay $80 for help to bridge it to my Airport Extreme.  Is there really a benefit to installing the Quantum, will there be an improvement? If yes, are the steps to bridge different since the Aiport is already set up? I am leaning toward paying the $80 to save the hassle unless there is an easy solution...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you bridged the airport to your current router, then it should be pretty much the same with the Quantum gateway.

At least it was for me when I upgraded.

0 Likes
Moonreef
So, has anyone successfully bridged the Actiontec MI424-WR Revision I? If so could you provide a copy of the configuration backup file to make this less complicated? I hate this whole MOCA bridge thing as it compounds problems of using your own router. I wish their was an option to use only Verizon's modem and I supply my own router.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you want to use it in bridge mode because you can only run coax from ONT?

Do you have TV service with Verizon STB?

If so, you are usually better off using Verizon router.

BTW, Verizon does not use modems.

0 Likes
DavidV2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

It's not great and not possible for everyone, but it's supported as a bridge with zero issues when it's ETHERNET to the ONT and not COAX. 

I fought and fought and fought this thing and even had it working as a bridge with COAX.

My problems went away and I am now months of trouble free operation with ETHERNET and not COAX.

I also don't have the TV service and just FIOS Internet. 

I don't use the Verizion/Actiontec at all. It's straight into my router of choice.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I am encouraging everyone to cave in and run Ethernet and save yourself hours of headaches.

-V

0 Likes
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

I don't use the Verizion/Actiontec at all. It's straight into my router of choice.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I am encouraging everyone to cave in and run Ethernet and save yourself hours of headaches.

-V

I'm scheduled for a non-TV FIOS install.  How do I arrange to have Ethernet run to where I want to keep the router?  Please be specific -- I'll print out your reply and show it to the installer.   Plus, call ahead to Customer Service if you recommend that.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What speed are you buying?

If you are getting 100M or higher, they have to use ethernet.

If you already have coax run, they will probably try to reuse it for lower speeds.

Only way to ensure Ethernet for lower speeds is to doit yourself or have someone do it.

0 Likes
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

What speed are you buying?

If you are getting 100M or higher, they have to use ethernet.

If you already have coax run, they will probably try to reuse it for lower speeds.

Only way to ensure Ethernet for lower speeds is to doit yourself or have someone do it.

I'm getting 75 meg.  There is no coax run -- fresh install.   Is it more expensive or time consuming to run ethernet as opposed to coax?  Since there is nothing there already, if I explain to the installer that I'd like to use my own router would he likely be agreeable to run ethernet to accommodate me?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Seeing as how they have to run something new, it should be about the same.

Running cable, is running cable.

When tech arrives, explain to them you would prefer ethernet.

Especially if your order does not have a Verizon router.

0 Likes