Lovin' ESPN 3D, but a couple Q's
vinnie
Enthusiast - Level 3

ESPN 3D on my Panasonic looks good, not great like I have come to expect from FiOS TV. But I think it's more of an technological issue than anything, hopefully someone can confirm my thinking:

So IF 3D is transmitted in 1080i/p, and that's a big if, then because of the top and bottom format of the 3D picture I'm only seeing a 540 vertical resolution. But if 3D is transmitted in 720 like I suspect, then we're talking a mere 360 vertical resolution. There's no way they're using 480 is there?

What I don't know is the horizontal resolution; the picture doesn't look scaled horizontally, but if the vertical resolution is 360 like I suspect then I can only assume the horizontal resolution is 640. Make sense?

0 Likes
Re: Lovin' ESPN 3D, but a couple Q's
tns
Master - Level 2

I believe it was said they decided to broadcast ESPN 3d top/bottom at 1080i. Essentially because of the problem with reduced actual lines of resolution you mentioned.  I know that did so for some of there earlier testing.  Perhaps someone using one of the non-fios boxes/cards (or running 1.9 set to native resolution) can tell us for sure.

0 Likes
Irving_TX
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Tivo is set to output the incoming native resolution and it says that 1002 is 720p.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

according to engadget the 720p or 1080i should not be compromised

Isn't frame compatible half the resolution of HD?

No, it's actually the exact same resolution as HD. Sure it would be better if the resolution was doubled, but it still isn't less resolution than HD.

3D formats

0 Likes