Re: The Weather Channel
weatherdeprived
Enthusiast - Level 1

There's a reason there are so many upset customers on this website.  But who knows if Verizon will listen.  The Widgets and Accuweather are so INFERIOR  it's a joke.  Accuweather has a rotating door of announcers and no local weather.  None.  There's no local radar and the other day during a storm the local weather wasn't up to date.  I'm embarrassed for them.  All I can do is drop the service like so many others.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The two things are relatively unrelated.

Verizon first decided not to renew with The Weather Channel.  Actual negotiations were not terminated, and might (very unlikely) lead to a restoration.

Having decided to not renew The Weather Channel, someone decided to do what Dish and DirecTv did (or threaten to do) and offer Accuweather in its place..

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Accuweather is a new channel (only onair as of Novemeber of 2014), they were probably looking for a launch network.

Given the state of Verizon's negotiations with TWC, they probably gave them a deal they couldn't refuse.

Will be intersted to see how Accuweatehr quality improves and if any other companies dump TWC and possibly pick up TWC.

KYak1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I absolutely agree.  AccuWeather is a pretty tacky channel.  I understand that it is a fledgling netwrok but, as a weather forecaster, it is not the most accurate from a statistical review of others.  The Weather Channel had a nice presentation of weather, special programming.  I wasn't the biggest fan of the new morning format but they seemed to be adjusting.  And it did a great job of local weather.  So - I will never turn to the AccuWeather channel.  I won't give them the ratings.

The weather Channel
droidguy82
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am unsure why Verizon felt the need to remove the weather channel from it's channel lineup. The subscibers enjoy the content that the weather channel provides. The Weather channel provides much more than just weather forcasts. They provide other content and life coverage of natural disasters. AccuWeather Is Just Forcasts and has very little coverage of any natural disasters. The AccuWeather channel is subpar to the weather channel and does not even compete. Your tv subsciptions will decline if you continue to purchase cheap channels and charging the same premium for services. Directv is looking like a much better deal for TV service than Fios is at this point. A lot of customers have shown concern for the loss of The Weather Channel and your blatent disregard for the concern of your subscribers paints a clear picture of how much your subscribers mean to you. Your company is more concerned with lining your pockets and your CEO is more concerned with his Bonus checks than providing quality content to your subscibers. If you continue to run your business in the way you have been, Your going to wind up putting yourself out of business. The loss of annual revenue year after year is not only from the cost of installation. The games you play with your customers and the quality of your tv programming and internet and the cost you charge your subscribers is a major factor as to your loss of revenue. 

tokyomokyo
Enthusiast - Level 1

AccuWeather is awful. I get that TWC has expanded to more reality type programming, but I don't tune in for that. I tune in for the LOCAL weather - especially during hurricane season! When I can't get the local weather on TWC, I go to TWC's loop channel. The WeatherBug widget is horrendous, so I don't use that. Verizon's argument is that the weather can be obtained from numerous other sources, but if I was interested in running everything through my phone or laptop, why would I waste my time with Verizon cable? Oh that's right, the high prices... Dopey me.

cbrowndc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got off the phone with Verizon.  They threatened to charge me $90.00 if I got rid of my cable package.  After waiting for 10 minutes to talk to a supervisor, the agent told me that I would not be charged the fee, if I kept my Verizon internet. 

What a racket!  I think I'll cancel my services bit by bit. 

The agent mentioned that there was no one available to take any comments or feedback on Verizon services.  Looks like they have given up on customer service.

For giggles, I counted how many channels I have never tuned to on cable. 178 channels that I have access to ,but have never seen.  Yet, the one channel i watched every day was stripped from the line-up with no notice and no reduction in rate.

I want the Weather Channel Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are Lost without the Weather Channel
Momsta
Enthusiast - Level 1

We need the Weather Channel back. We are lost without it. Hurrcane season is coming to Florida. I have had the Weather Channel werever I have lived since the beginning of cable & it was my default channel. When the contract is up, I'm getting rid of the cable TV.Cat Sad

FLFlipper1
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a resident of Florida, you are putting lives at risk during hurricane season by taking the Weather Channel away.  AccuWeather is useless and a joke, have never seen a report worth watching.  Hope Verizon is happy with their millions, come end of my contract you better believe I'm going else where for TV service!

teds300
Enthusiast - Level 1

We had come to depend on the "Local on the 8's" service on The Weather Channel.  It was handy, predictable and always accurate.  Now whenever I look at AccuWeather, they're on the East coast.  Fine if you're in Boston, not so fine if you're in Texas like we are.  The "local" weather when they deign to show it is truncated, innacurate and useless.  We cannot even predict at what time we can expect local weather.  This makes the service totally useless. 

Like many others here, we will be looking for a provider that carries TWC.  We pay over $200 for our FIOS service and expect more than the crappy coverage that AccuWeather provides.  I simply can't believe that the FIOS management can consider this equivalent service.