Amazon Prime Video freezing on Fios
DIV2
Enthusiast - Level 1

After spending 1+ hr with support and having them incorrectly tell me that its my TV, its my Cat6, its my.. whatever - AND seeing that so many others have the same issue - I'd like feedback from others if you think Fios is throttling? 

Situation:

3 years ago left Fios for Comcast bc Amazon/Netflix was freezing.  Had a TV connected Cat6 directly to Fios router. 

Built a new house - new cables (CAT6 and COAX) throughout.  Got Comcast and streaming video services (aka Prime) worked fine.  Config:  100Mbs down, CAT6 directly from Comast router to brand new Sony TV.  (TV WIFI turned off so to force wired). 

Two months ago I switched to FIOS because I wanted to upgrade from 100Mbs to Gig.  Config:  SAME config used for Comcast except now using FIOS ONT and router.  Same: Sony TV, Cat6 connecting TV to FIOS router - connected to FIOS ONT.   NOTE: that FIOS replaced the splitter with their splitter when they installed their ONT.  Other than that - its exactly the same.  EXCEPT: I'm now getting literally 10X more speed!

Despite the faster internet - my streaming Amazon freezes. 

I spent an hour w/ Tech support first trying to get IP6 enalbed thinking maybe that would help.  Only after 1 hour tech support finally informed me that they don't support IPV6 for residential yet - what?  I didn't see that anywhere in their support documents or advertising.  Anyway... not sure IPV6 would move the dial.  So after an hour, the tech is dispatching someone to look at the ONT and splitter and replace my router (despite everything being 2 months old!).  

How can I have 1gig (actually ~950) with NOTHING else material running on my network, and not be able to stream Amazon on a 3 year old 65" Sony Bravia TV with brand new Cat6 wiring direct connected????  

Last 3 years Comcast worked FINE. 

Switched to FIOS 2 months ago

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Amazon Prime Video freezing on Fios
DIV2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update:   Solved!  

I'm not entirely clear what fixed the problem but; 

1) Verizon sent me a text that they 'did something on their end' and asked that I reboot my Fios modem and,

2) I reinstalled the Amazon app on my Sony Bravia after seeing feedback online that often TV apps become outdated and dont auto-update.  

In either case - I have seen no freezing since.  

View solution in original post

Re: Amazon Prime Video freezing on Fios
DIV2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update:   Solved!  

I'm not entirely clear what fixed the problem but; 

1) Verizon sent me a text that they 'did something on their end' and asked that I reboot my Fios modem and,

2) I reinstalled the Amazon app on my Sony Bravia after seeing feedback online that often TV apps become outdated and dont auto-update.  

In either case - I have seen no freezing since.