Anyone able to get 5.1 Dolby out of QIP7100-P2 STB?
MarkE21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently switched to Moto QIP7100-P2 STB and cannot get 5.1 Dolby sound.  I have an LG smart TV with a FIOS app (IP Streaming) that bypasses the STB and does pass 5.1 Dolby to my audio receiver.  When I tune those same channels using the STB - no 5.1 Dolby.

I've discussed this with VZ Tech Support and have been told the 7100 series Moto STB does not have the ability to decode 5.1.  However, all of Motorola's product literature says it does.  

I'd use the FIOS app all time, but putting the TV in app mode is a bit cumbersome and does not stream all channels.  If I could leave the TV in app mode and access all channels it wouldn't be an issue.   I'd also return the STB so it wouldn't be  cluttering A/V space (probably why not all channels are supported in FIOS app.)    Would just like to make life simple and have a single (fully functional) solution.   

Is anyone getting Dolby 5.1 sound from a QIP7100?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Anyone able to get 5.1 Dolby out of QIP7100-P2 STB?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try going to the hidden menu (from on hit power off, ok menu.  Timing is critical.  Under hdmi settings change from auto (the default) to pass through.

Note also may or may not be able to pass signal on from tv to any receiver, depending on your TV.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try going to the hidden menu (from on hit power off, ok menu.  Timing is critical.  Under hdmi settings change from auto (the default) to pass through.

Note also may or may not be able to pass signal on from tv to any receiver, depending on your TV.

PJL
Master - Level 3

@MarkE2 wrote:

Recently switched to Moto QIP7100-P2 STB and cannot get 5.1 Dolby sound.  I have an LG smart TV with a FIOS app (IP Streaming) that bypasses the STB and does pass 5.1 Dolby to my audio receiver.  When I tune those same channels using the STB - no 5.1 Dolby.

Is the STB connected to your receiver directly or through the TV?   As another post points out, the 5.1 might not pass from your STB to the TV and then to your receiver using HDMI.  In this case, others have used either the coax or optical digital output directly from the STB to the receiver to get the 5.1 sound.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@PJL wrote:

@MarkE2 wrote:

Is the STB connected to your receiver directly or through the TV?   As another post points out, the 5.1 might not pass from your STB to the TV and then to your receiver using HDMI.  In this case, others have used either the coax or optical digital output directly from the STB to the receiver to get the 5.1 sound.

I'm going to make the assumption that you're using HDMI conntections.  If your receiver supports it, I would use one selected input for the TV via HDMI (so that you get Dolby from the TV sources like the FiOS streaming app, HBOGo, etc. as available), and another to play the STB 5.1 audio directly (coas or optical digital) with STB HDMI to the TV.  Most receivers these days let you assign input sources such as this scheme would require.

0 Likes
MarkE21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you.

Right now the STB is connected to TV by HDMI.  Sound is ported out tfrom TV o audio receiver by optical cable.  Audio receiver not integrated other than receiving digital sound via optical cable.

I initially had the STB connected to TV by HDMI and ported sound directly out of STB to audio receiver by optical cable.   Was able to control volue level this way, but still no 5.1 Dolby.

What seems to be telling is that the 5.1 icon does not appear for any channel in the VZ channel guide with the Moto STB.  When I stream via the LG Fios app, many HD channels display the 5.1 icon (in additon to the "CC", rating,  "SAP" and other icons)  in the VZ channel guide.  When viewing those channels, 5.1 is triggered on my audio receiver.  If I switch over to STB  and tune same channel - no 5.1 sound and no icons in the VZ channel guide.

The receiver does not support HDMI, so all input is by optical cable, dig coax, or dig din (plus analog).  I have a new receiver on the way, but I don't think the problem is the receiver because 5.1 works when it gets the signal.   Unfortunately I'm beginning to think the STB doesn't do 5.1 ... or VZ has disabled it.   I'll reroute connections make sure I covered all the bases with STB audio direct to audio receiver.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@MarkE2 wrote:

Unfortunately I'm beginning to think the STB doesn't do 5.1 ... or VZ has disabled it.   I'll reroute connections make sure I covered all the bases with STB audio direct to audio receiver.

The STB definitiely does support 5.1 DD audio.  I just checked the spec sheet from Motorola, and Verizon does not disable it.  Note that not all channels broadcast in 5.1 DD. 

Here is a screen shot of a portion of the applicable Motorola manual spec sheet.  Sorry for the quality.

0 Likes
MarkE21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks PJL.  That's one of the spec sheets I have also.

Have continued to experiment with connection options and cannot get 5.1 /DD sound out of the 7100 STB.   Neither the channel guide nor the individual channel info mask will display the 5.1/ DD icon for any channel.  The DD indicator on my receiver never lights.

Conversely, the 5.1/ DD icon  properly displays in streaming mode using the FIOS LG app - both in the channel guide and the info mask for individual channels.  This signal streams via Ethernet, so it doesn't tell me what is passing through the FIOS coax cable.  Using the TV's QAM tuner, I bypassed the STB altogether and tuned on the raw FIOS cable.  DD icons and indicators worked as they should on both the channel mask and on my receiver.  In both cases, DD audio is definitely emitting from my speakers.

So, still the only scenario in which I cannot generate DD audio is when using the Moto 7100 STB.  This is a new (to me) STB that I picked up 2-3 weeks ago, so maybe the new 7100's don't support DD?  The literature I've seen says they do ... VZ  tech reps say no.

0 Likes
MarkE21
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you TNS_2

I completely missed your response in the queue.  Reached the "secret menu" and switched HDMI audio to pass through.   I now get DD signal into my receiver.  Still not giving me the 5.1 or DD icons in the channel guide (when using STB), but don't care about that.

That was exactly what I needed!

@tns_2 wrote:

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@MarkE2 wrote:

Thank you TNS_2

I completely missed your response in the queue.  Reached the "secret menu" and switched HDMI audio to pass through.   I now get DD signal into my receiver.  Still not giving me the 5.1 or DD icons in the channel guide (when using STB), but don't care about that.

That was exactly what I needed!

@tns_2 wrote:

Mark, I may have missed it, but what brand/model receiver are you using?

0 Likes
MarkE21
Enthusiast - Level 1

@PJL wrote:

Mark, I may have missed it, but what brand/model receiver are you using?

Receiver is an old Denon AVR 1506.    It will be replaced shortly, but it is what I have to work with now.  

TV is an LG 47LM7600, that has 4 HDMI 1.4 inputs (one supporting ARC).  Currently the TV is functioning as the hub, with Moto QIP7100, Apple TV, Apple Mac Mini connected by HDMI.   HDMI 1 is reserved for whatever ARC/network compatible receiver I decide upon.

The Denon receiver is connected only by the digital optical out on the TV.  Once I was able to get DD into the TV through the HDMI out port of the QIP7100, then I could successfully feed DD to the receiver.  Prior to changing the STB HDMI Audio default, the receiver was not recognizing DD in the optical audio stream - either through the TV or directly from the STB.  

0 Likes