Audio Screech and Video Dropouts
ITNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yo Folks, found similar post from 3/09 on "intermittent" video dropouts and "audio screeching" without any apparent resolution (other then recc's for bumping all the connectors)? 

This condition only occurs on my HDDVR QIP 7216.  The attached HDTV (Toshiba) will periodically "screech" (I think) between programs (like when a commercial ends) .  It is very loud and annoying.  I also notice video dropouts lasting a second or two.  I also can hear something coming from the dvr (noise hard drive spinning?)  its not very noticeable, but can hear it if the room is quiet.   I have not called repair yet, wanted to query here first....   I have 2 other non hd stb's that have never exhibited this problem. 

Thanx for listening....

0 Likes
Re: Audio Screech and Video Dropouts
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

@ITNerd wrote:

Yo Folks, found similar post from 3/09 on "intermittent" video dropouts and "audio screeching" without any apparent resolution (other then recc's for bumping all the connectors)? 

This condition only occurs on my HDDVR QIP 7216.  The attached HDTV (Toshiba) will periodically "screech" (I think) between programs (like when a commercial ends) .  It is very loud and annoying.  I also notice video dropouts lasting a second or two.  I also can hear something coming from the dvr (noise hard drive spinning?)  its not very noticeable, but can hear it if the room is quiet.   I have not called repair yet, wanted to query here first....   I have 2 other non hd stb's that have never exhibited this problem. 

Thanx for listening....

Hey, ITNerd.  Have you tried reseating the HDMI cable?  Sounds to me like this is a handshake issues.  You may also want to try a hard pwr cycle (reseat the power cable) as well, just in case the issue is w/the STB and not just the HDMI handshake.  LMK if either of those work.  If not, we may have to look into a component cable setup for you.

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
ITNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yo Christian, reseated my hdmi cables and did power reset on HDDVR, still getting intermittent screech....   when I last noticed, seemed? to happen on a commercial, switching (not channel change, just content from same channel)  between HD content and non hd content . 

0 Likes
SirBaldMan

I believe I know what the screech is and where is it coming from. I frequently hear  a screech at the end of local commercials, and this only happens on non-broadcast channels such as USA, SyFy, CNN, etc and I can only speak to HD channels as I do not watch SD. Also, what I see visually is the local commercial ends and I see the last few seconds of a different commerial and then the start of the program I was watching.

As I said previously, the screech is at the end of local commercials, and I can only assume it is a signal from the channel to switch from local feed back to the feed from the channel, I.E. USA, CNN, TNT. If this screech is not heard on a SD channel, it could be the timing difference between SD and HD that is causing the issue.

At any rate, it is a sound that should not be heard by the end user, it is a signal used by the carrier whether that be VZ Fios, or one of the cable companies to switch between content feed and local feed. I am not sure how it is filtered out so the end user like myself does not hear it, it could be timing, it could be a bandpass filtering that is not turned on, I am not sure how FIOS does it.

For point of reference, I live outside of Boston, MA.

0 Likes