Boost coax signal
jklBruin
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am getting some "hiccups" in my audio and video signal, both on HD channels and SD channels. There's no pattern and it seems to happen sporadically at time. Sometimes it gets bad and happens every 45 seconds. They've sent me a new STB and that didn't solve the problem. They sent out a tech to check the signal strength and his equipments says signal is good. This happens on both the HDDVR and the regular STB, on different tvs, so it can't really be a hardware problem.

I'm thinking of installing this coax signal booster on the line, would there be any harm in doing this?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103913

Thanks all.

.jkl.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Boost coax signal
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Odds are if there is any problem it is just the opposite - it is that the signal is too hot, not too weak. Unlike cable which runs for miles over coax, your signal only runs 30 to 100 feet from the ONT to your STB and shouldn't require any amplification.  Many installations have had attenuators installed to bring the signal level down.

Any amplifier will cause you to lose VOD and widgets since most amplifiers (including the one you linked to) are one way devices and your STB needs a MOCA (IP) return path the router.  Even so called bidirectional cable amplifiers are a no-no as their return path is below the old VHF channel 2 (50 MHz and under) and the MOCA used by FiOS for communication is at 1 GHz and above.

Techman28
Master - Level 1

before doing that try getting some of these 75-ohm terminator 

Q. - I've heard I should use "terminators" on my video connections. What are they and why should I use them?

A. - 75-Ohm f terminators are one of the most overlooked, yet essential items.

When you set-up your video distribution system, you'll often have locations that have video distributed to them but nothing connected to the system. This is usually the case when you've run the cable thinking that you might use the connection in the future.

Open cable ends (or connectors) can cause deterioration and degradation of the video signal. In the simplest terms, your system will tend to have poorer signals if these ends are left open.

A 75-Ohm terminator simply screws onto a standard F-connector, and presents a "load" to the system, as if a component were connected there.

"F" series terminators utilize passive electronic circuitry designed to block 60 cycle interference (generated by electric lines) and terminate RF signals on unused equipment ports. They are necessary to prevent impedance mismatches and minimize RF reflections and echoes. Unused active ports should always be terminated to:

1. prevent signal leakage

2. prevent extraneous signals from entering the system, and

3. prevent water and moisture damage if the unit is located outside.

BTW do a search for them and you could get a pack of 10-20 for $4-$6

Message Edited by Techman28 on 11-17-2008 03:58 PM
jklBruin
Enthusiast - Level 2
Although I have all the rooms wired for cable, for future use, those rooms are not connected to the 4-1 splitter coming off the main line. There are only 2 branches being used from that splitter. Should I put terminators on the unused connections of the splitter?
0 Likes
jklBruin
Enthusiast - Level 2
Keyboards, thanks for the tip. I hadn't tought about the 2-way communications.
0 Likes
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1

"Should I put terminators on the unused connections of the splitter?"

Yes. 

0 Likes
jklBruin
Enthusiast - Level 2
thanks for the help everyone. now anybody know of a place in new york city that carries these terminators. i can't seem to find them at radio shack.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jklBruin wrote:
Although I have all the rooms wired for cable, for future use, those rooms are not connected to the 4-1 splitter coming off the main line. There are only 2 branches being used from that splitter. Should I put terminators on the unused connections of the splitter?

Actually you would be better off replacing the 4 way with a 2 way. Reason is that the terminators will just keep any stray signals out. But you will still have anywhere from 6-7 dB of loss per leg (check the splitter it probably says). Switching out to a 2 way reduces that to 3 dB. That way if you have a reason to put a splitter near the TV, you start with a stronger signal.

0 Likes