Capitalizing on the need for Videos
Lexycal

I am extremely upset that Verizon has decided to capitalize on the fact that most video stores have now closed.  I wanted to rent the Lorax for my kids but my only choice was to buy it through Verizon.  Why has my option to rent this movie been taken away?  Verizon is always getting a bad rap from other companies and people and I have always stood by this company but this really **bleep** me off.  Like I'm not already paying out the butt for my service compared to everyone else in my town, now this crap.  This is why people leave this company and I am fully considering it.  It might seem small but overall I feel like I am being taken advantage of by Verizon.   They don't even let you know when it will be available to rent on a daily basis.  Flexview is a total scam, why the heck do I want to buy movies with a company that in the end is going to burn me anyway, even though I have been a loyal customer for over 6 years while most people changed.  If they aren't mailing a movie to me that is mine, that movie is only mine on borrowed time.   Totally dissatisfied. 

0 Likes
Re: Capitalizing on the need for Videos
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I agree that onDemand pricing is out of whack in general (movies costing $5 or more for a 24 hour viewing period is  a little steep even if you factor in the concenience factor), the onDemand thing they're doing right now has been common practice in the industry for a while (also to include premium movie channels).   Verizon is not unique here.  They've arranged to get the movie exclusively on their platform for a limited period of time (usually 3-4 weeks).  If you want it "sooner", the idea is that you'll pay for the priviledge and movie studios are more than willing to accomodate as it gives them extra money as well that they couldn't get once they make it available for general distribution.  What I don't like is that once that period expires, the price doesn't drop in line with the old brick and mortar store prices which were closer to $2-$3 per rental and that there is a cost differential between SD and HD content.

Once this exclusive period expires, other venues will have the opportunity to offer it and often cheaper prices.

So, if you want it cheaper, wait a few weeks (like until September 4th when the exclusive period expires) and then go rent it at a redbox (you do know about redbox don't you?).

0 Likes