Direct connection (no FiOS set top box) of device with QAM digital TV tuner- your experiences?
gastrof
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had another service provider until last week when I got FiOS. 

Was a bit annoyed to find my QAM recorder now has trouble getting two of my local channels.  Seems each has a virtual channel number (X.1) that FiOS in my area also assigned to another channel.

As a result, if I try to tune directly to the .1 with that channel number, I either get nothing or get another channel entirely.  The one I actually want doesn't show up unless I use the channel up button, then at the very end of all channels with that main number, another ".1" comes up, which is the one I really want.

Because of this, the channel can't be timer recorded, since the machine will get the wrong channel when it aims for that channel number.

My previous provider was causing the same problem, but at least in their case it only came up with a local PBS channel I don't watch much.  Now, with FiOS, it's happening with two of our major locals.

Anyone else having something like this happen?

0 Likes
Re: Direct connection (no FiOS set top box) of device with QAM digital TV tuner- your experiences?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I have sent you a private message so we can troubleshoot with your equipment.

Anthony Taylor

Social Media Escalations

0 Likes
Re: Direct connection (no FiOS set top box) of device with QAM digital TV tuner- your experiences?
gvegarra

I want to connect cable to a third TV cable ready.  I already have two boxes.  I connected it but I only see local channels.  How can I get other channels w/o equipment?  

0 Likes
Re: Direct connection (no FiOS set top box) - Use Existing STB Output
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

Cvegarra wrote:

I want to connect cable to a third TV cable ready. I already have two boxes. I connected it but I only see local channels. How can I get other channels w/o equipment?

You can feed the third TV by connecting it to the output from one of your other STBs. This can be either via coax, or other wiring depending on the STB model. However without additional equipment you will not be able to control channel selection at the third TV; the channel displayed will depend on the channel selected on the STB you use. Your best and most economical choice is perhaps a digital adapter (supplied by Verizon).

I am running several older TVs using the output from one of my STBs. I have added remote IR control capability that allows channel selection at each TV, however this requires multiplexing the IR remote signals with the coax and this is ordinarily neither simple nor inexpensive. I just happened to have suitable equipment from an earlier installation.  Here are a few details:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Networking/Cmon-Show-Us-Your-Network/m-p/481733#M765

0 Likes