Does FIOS have "NON line of site" option for the STB remotes
fivecoopers
Enthusiast - Level 1

ALL of my remotes are the IR requireint line of site between the remote and the STB.   Prior to switching to FIOS my STB, DVR... were all hidden from site.  What options does FIOS offer other than line of site for remotes.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does FIOS have "NON line of site" option for the STB remotes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3
You can use the Fios Mobile App on an iPhone, iPod, or iPad. It will work as a remote (and more) over your Fios WiFi network.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3
You can use the Fios Mobile App on an iPhone, iPod, or iPad. It will work as a remote (and more) over your Fios WiFi network.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@fivecoopers wrote:

ALL of my remotes are the IR requireint line of site between the remote and the STB.   Prior to switching to FIOS my STB, DVR... were all hidden from site.  What options does FIOS offer other than line of site for remotes.

There are IR extenders that can be connected to the STBs that will allow the STBs to be out of line of sight but still work with the standard IR remote. Verizon sells one on their website, and I suspect you can find some that will work on Monoprice.com, eBay, and/or Amazon. At one time Verizon apparently gave them away free but it appears that they have changed that policy now, although it can't hurt to contact them and see what if anything they will do.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

XDM45guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just bought one of Harmony's new Ultimate remotes that comes with a wireless hub that can turn your equipment on from a different floor.  It works with your smartphone and even has bluetooth for xbox and more.  As a matter of fact the default mode for the remotes is to not send any ir commands, the hub sends them all and mine sits on a lower next to my center channell and it turns everything on.  The remotes communicate in rf to the hub..

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the fios mobile app works amazingly well -  I love using it on my tablet, and controlling all the boxes from the app. 

Works flawlessly for me, in fact a friend of mine was having an amazingly difficult time setting up IR extenders,  we spent a lot of time on it, and I asked him why don't you just use the app?

he loaded it and it worked instantly.      we would have saved a couple hours if we tried it earlier.  

0 Likes
fivecoopers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried the APP and it was easy to install and works.   It is better than nothing.   At least now I don't need to leave the room to change the channel.  I would still prefer to have a true remote control option.

0 Likes