DVR cutting of last minute of shows
Koala_fan

When you record shows back-to-back on the same channel, the DVR stops the 1st show before it actually ends. If the DVR allows you to record 6 shows simultaneously, why can't it record the 2nd show using one of the unused "lines"? Why can't it record the same channel on 2 different lines so you don't lose the last minute?

Will this ever be fixed? 

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DVR cutting of last minute of shows
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don’t think the end times are being sent wrong; they are almost always :00 or :30.  However, sometimes shows go right up to the end of the timeslot, maybe even a few seconds over.  That’s why the extend is useful.

I recently switched to FiOS ONE from the really old M-DVR system.  On the M-DVR system, it would happily record the same channel on two tuners.  The only issue was if another program was scheduled to record during the overlap time, it wouldn’t work as that needs three tuners.  It would display a conflict message to allow the viewer to decide what to record.  Note the M-DVR only had two tuners.

FiOS ONE has six tuners, however you don’t get to use all six unless you pay for “enhanced” DVR service.  Otherwise, you only get to use two at a time.  I have the base level 2-tuner DVR service, but I haven’t verified how it behaves with back-to-back recordings on the same channel when one is extended.  I expect it to behave the same as the old M-DVR system.

When you have the overlap setup, do you have another program also recording?  Do you have the lowest DVR service?  If so, that would explain the behavior.

Also, don’t forget you can watch the last seconds of the show on the other recording.  Just stop watching after you’ve seen enough.  You can resume viewing it whenever you want.  Sure, it’ll be marked as “viewed” on the guide, but that seems easier to me than finding the on-demand version of the show.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably not.

But the show gets recorded on the next show, correct?

I see this all the time and you just go to the next show to watch it

Koala_fan

That only works if you watch them in order.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some programs run a little past the scheduled end time.  To handle those, use the “extend” function to add a minute or more.  This will cause the DVR to use a different tuner (not "line") to record the start of the next show.  Note that for the minute or so that the recordings overlap, two tuners will be used.  This may cause the DVR to run out of tuners if other programs are being recorded.

Also know that basic DVR service only allows two recordings at a time, so you can’t have another program being recorded during the overlap time.  Six tuners are available with the enhanced DVR service.

Koala_fan

We have tried that. We created series recordings that are set up to end "5 minutes after ending". Still had to go to Hulu to see the end of an NBC show.

Are the networks not sending the right times? Is the Verizon time stamp off? Or is it a,we suspect, that the system can't handle recording the same channel on 2 tuners.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don’t think the end times are being sent wrong; they are almost always :00 or :30.  However, sometimes shows go right up to the end of the timeslot, maybe even a few seconds over.  That’s why the extend is useful.

I recently switched to FiOS ONE from the really old M-DVR system.  On the M-DVR system, it would happily record the same channel on two tuners.  The only issue was if another program was scheduled to record during the overlap time, it wouldn’t work as that needs three tuners.  It would display a conflict message to allow the viewer to decide what to record.  Note the M-DVR only had two tuners.

FiOS ONE has six tuners, however you don’t get to use all six unless you pay for “enhanced” DVR service.  Otherwise, you only get to use two at a time.  I have the base level 2-tuner DVR service, but I haven’t verified how it behaves with back-to-back recordings on the same channel when one is extended.  I expect it to behave the same as the old M-DVR system.

When you have the overlap setup, do you have another program also recording?  Do you have the lowest DVR service?  If so, that would explain the behavior.

Also, don’t forget you can watch the last seconds of the show on the other recording.  Just stop watching after you’ve seen enough.  You can resume viewing it whenever you want.  Sure, it’ll be marked as “viewed” on the guide, but that seems easier to me than finding the on-demand version of the show.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The extend doesn't work if one recorded program follows the one being recorded. I have enhanced DVR. Still get programs recorded over into the next.

My assumption is that they have the software configured such that only a channel can only be attached to one tuner at a time. Probably makes it easier to keep track of tuners and channels in use.