Enabiling PCM output on QIP 7232
Hemi-RT

I've read everything and tried everything with no solution.  I just purchased a Sharp LC70LE640U LED LCD and it is connected to my Motorola 7232 P2 STB by HDMI.  The TV has no audio but displays a message that says incompatible audio format, change STB audio to PCM.

I've read that it can be changed on a hidden menu.  I have tried the access key combination off (STB), OK (remote), menu (remote) dozens of times to no avail.  Each time what happens is that the menu key press clears the screen saver and I briefly see the STB audio volume.

QIP-7232 P2

Build Number: 14.47

Are there some builds of the 7232 that don't have a hidden menu?

With millions of FIOS customers and millions of Sharp TVs, I just can't believe this even exists as a problem.  Why hasn't FIOS put the audio output option on their standard setting menu.

0 Likes
Re: Enabiling PCM output on QIP 7232
Justin46
Legend

@Hemi-RT wrote:

I've read everything and tried everything with no solution.  I just purchased a Sharp LC70LE640U LED LCD and it is connected to my Motorola 7232 P2 STB by HDMI.  The TV has no audio but displays a message that says incompatible audio format, change STB audio to PCM.

I've read that it can be changed on a hidden menu.  I have tried the access key combination off (STB), OK (remote), menu (remote) dozens of times to no avail.  Each time what happens is that the menu key press clears the screen saver and I briefly see the STB audio volume.

QIP-7232 P2

Build Number: 14.47

Are there some builds of the 7232 that don't have a hidden menu?

With millions of FIOS customers and millions of Sharp TVs, I just can't believe this even exists as a problem.  Why hasn't FIOS put the audio output option on their standard setting menu.

Not to criticize, but I firmly believe you are doing something wrong. I have a 7232 and it works just fine.

With the TV and STB both turned on, do the following on your remote:

1) Hit the STB button

2) Press the Off button

3) Within a second or so of hitting Off, hit the OK button, then hit the Menu button (this all does need to be done pretty quickly, one after another)

4) the menu will display, scroll down to ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS and hit the Right Arrow

5) Scroll up to AUDIO OUTPUT (it probably says AUTO at this point) and hit the Right Arrow once to change it to L-PCM

6) Hit the Power button once, then hit it again and the DVR should turn on

Now I know you said that is what you did, but I really believe that somehow you are not doing it that way, because I have the same model with the same build. Try again maybe? Smiley Very Happy

As to your question about why it is not in the regular Menu, I have no idea, other than most people don't need to change it. Are you by chance using a sound system between your DVR and the TV?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Just to mention, I do it at about 1/2 half second intervals.   so boom boom boom.

andddddddddddddddd    on occasion I have to do a two hand operation

meaning remote in one hand ready to hit ok and then menu, and I power off the box by hand.   make sure the box has a channel displayed.  this operation has to be done while the box is powered on.  

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

This wonderful website says my time limit to edit my previous post has expired, so I can't change a couple of items, so I can only add it here, sorry....

First, I said Off button a couple of times when I really meant the Power button.

Second, the steps were written for a 4-button Verizon remote control. If you have the Verizon P265 2-button remote, there is no separate STB and Power button, you just hit the one button labeled STB/Power, then quickly hit OK and Menu.

Once again, sorry for any confusion....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Hemi-RT

Thanks for the feedback, on about the 50th try I got the hidden menu by doing the sequence with the remote an inch from the STB.  I can't fathom why the remote being so close made any difference but it did.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Hemi-RT wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, on about the 50th try I got the hidden menu by doing the sequence with the remote an inch from the STB.  I can't fathom why the remote being so close made any difference but it did.

Thanks.

No clue why, maybe weak batteries in the remote? I am doing it from about 6 - 8 feet away with no problem.

And I guess maybe another possibility: Verizon has apparently delivered some software update that causes DVRs to sometimes be very slow responding to commands from the remote. I experienced that in spades several months ago, then magically most of the problem disappeared a month or so ago. But it could be that if your DVR is doing that, it could be the cause, due to the DVR not executing the commands in time. If so, you might try removing power from the DVR and making it do a full startup, maybe that might help.

But glad you finally got to the menu. More importantly, were you able to fix your audio problem?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
HammerZ

Justin, I have all the same settings, controls and DvR that you have and I cannot call up the "hidden" menue. I have tried new batteries, up close , far away, etc. I have the 265 remote so I followed those instructions, I have the .2 DVr and the 1.9.1 release and 14.47 build. Platform ID is QIP 7232 P2

Usually the audio sign in the upper right corner will show a sign like a dolby digital sign, sometimes a LPCM will appear. I get a very slight voice lag on some channels, I don;t know which, and some times on "tape". I have both hdmi and component hook up and if I am getting the delay live or on tape if I switch to component, it disappears.

I may already be in the LPCM mode but I would like to know but I am simply unable to pull up this "hidden" menu.

I also have a Sharp 70" 847  and have my FIOS was just installed so it should have any updates as does the Sharp.

You can Respond directly to me at{edited for privacy} f you have any ideas. Thanks

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

For me, that set top box is a two hand operation.

I have to power it OFF using one hand and the front of the set top box, and the other hand holding the remote, I have to hit ok ok facing it at the set top box front panel.

So give  it a shot with the two handed method.  

0 Likes
frustratedfio

I can not get this hidden menu for the life of me.

I called tech support and they were no help; they said they would have someone call me, and of course, no one did. 

I relaize this thread is a little old- i have the QIP 7232 2, remote 265v3

I am trying to get the optical audio out to my stereo receiver working. WHen I try the optical or coax into my stereo preamp, I get a werid digital noise.  From reading up online, it seems I may need to access the hidden menu to change audio options there.

0 Likes
Contributor - Level 1

The method mentioned above to change the HDMI audio format is just that - HDMI.  There are no provisions to change the SPDIF or TOSlink output formats from AC3 to PCM.

0 Likes