Ethernet connection on Set Top Boxes / WIFI EXTENDER
fredeis
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Quantum Giga BIt connection.  My set top boxes are VMS 1100 for the media servicer plus 4 slaves.  I have the Quantum Router.

I have successfully connected to the ethernet connector on the back of the slaves for APPLE TV.  Works very nicely with minor delay when starting a service, not as good as direct connection to TVs thru internet direct to modem.  The speed according to the documentation is 10/100 (slower than the gigabit rate).  If I connect to the media server the documentation says that the speed would be 10/100/1000.

My question - If i connect something like APPLES AIRPORT EXPRESS or EXTREME  or any wireless extender that uses ethernet connectivity to the set top box it does not work.  I assume I need to adjust settings on the Quantum Modem or the maybe even the set top boxes thru the user diagnostics menu.  DOes anyone know the settings?  Also, has anyone tried using an ETHERNET HUB with these connections?

Has anyone been successful wtih this?

Many of the WIFI extenders use the MOCA feature built into the existing COAX, but insofar as I already own the APPLE AIRPORT EXPRESS, I'd rather not spend the dough.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet connection on Set Top Boxes / WIFI EXTENDER
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Generally, the ethernet ports on the back of the boxes do not support IP traffic.

I am surprised that you can connect a device to the back of an IPC and get service.

WHen you connect airport express, do you get a link light?

0 Likes
fredeis
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see the green light.  On the AirPort Utility on my iphone it shows no internet connection. 

I spoke with tech support @ Verizon and they said clearly that the ethernet port is enabled for internet traffic but not for putting on a device like Airport Express.  I'm using the VMS 1100 & 4 slaves and I've tested the APPLE TV on all ports and it works just fine.  I had suspected that there are some configuration changes that would allow the AIRPORT EXPRESS to work thru the ethernet ports, and I came across this amazing tutorial on how do this (not my particular equipment) but if you read thru this tutorial it makes alot of sense.  Essentially what it says is to set up the AIRPORT EXPRESS as a minimal DHCP server 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.10 (airport express maximum user count is 10)..The airport express comes in bridge mode as default whicih is probably why it doesn't work.  So, then you set the fios quantum modem to not serve DCHP in the above range, then it should work.   Its alittle involved according to the tutorial but it should work because the port is enabled.  Also, the MEDIA SERVER is rated 10/100/1000 while the slaves are rated 10/100, so it would make sense to use the media server as device to connect the AIRPORT EXPRESS (or similar) to.   If anyone tries this,  please post results here. 

Tech support gave me a dumb answer...they said that the STB ethernet only is LAN enabled, and i'm trying to do WAN.  I think the solution or something like it  will work. 

Also, the USB ports are enabled for 5V electricity  (for charging an iphone for exmaple) but not for use because VZ said that people were stealing and distributing movies thru the USB port.  So, until they solve that issue the USB port will remain disabled for consumers. 

https//:www.podfeet.com/blog/tutorials-5/how-to-configure-verizon-fios-router-to-give-network-control-to-air...

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the info.

I have always heard that people can use the lan port on IPCs instead of coax.

Haven't heard anyone state they can get IP service from IPC.

Intersting though: if you can hook a device to IPC, what IP does it get and where does it get it from? If it is getting it from IPC, then it may be only providing a single address.

But if it doing DHCP relay back to Quantum router, I'm surprised that bridged mode didn't work.

Will try it with a router I have at home I have set up as an access point to see what it does.

0 Likes
fredeis
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I was surprised it doesn't distribute IP addresses in bridge mode.  

I looked at the network topography in answer to your questions -

STB Master Bedroom COAX, ACTIVE  192.168.1.107   (DHCP)

APPLE TV ETHERNET  ACTIVE  192.168.1.206   (connected to STB above) (DHCP)

ALSO, the AIRPORT EXPRESS (in bridge mode) with direct home run thru a hub to QUANTUM ROUTER

AIRPORT EXPRESS  ETHERNET DHCP  192.168.1.183

With respect to prior post where it was suggested (by me) to block out IP addresses 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.10, I noticed that my SONOS (6 speakers)  system uses many of those addresses, making me a touch reluctant to use those addresses.  Also, in that previous post it, the tutorial suggested using DMZ for the port that would be static for APPLE AIRPORT express. I'm thinking that if you have to use DMZ for distributing at the STB then it wouldn't make sense to use equipment that would be subject to outside malware/hacking, etc (e.g. laptops), so one would have to be judicious in how they use this.  However, I read somewhere that using DMZ in this scenario is not an issue.  I'm not so sure I agree.

0 Likes
iclarius
Enthusiast - Level 3

Would be so nice if Verzion activated all the unused ports (ethernet and USB) so they can be us fullest extent possible. 

Printers or hard drive would be nice to be able to connect to the USB port. Being able to connect up to the ethernet port on the back of the set top box for a PC or other device would also be nice to have.

Someone was thinking about something when they added these ports but some business person or NOT technical person opted out of having them become useful ports.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes