External Hard Drive
GatorJim

If I attach an external hard drive to my DVR to increase capacity, if the programming I already have in the set top box erased?  I purchased a Western Dig hard drive and a scary message pops up suggesting that.  If so, I have purchased this external hard drive for nothing.  I don't want to lose all my previously recorded programs.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: External Hard Drive
Hubrisnxs
Legend

they are talking about formatting your western digital, and if any recordings were on "it" then they would be lost.

not your internal hard drive.

Re: External Hard Drive
tobaccojack

Hi, I just added a Western Digital External Hard Drive, and got the same message. To answer your question, no. Nothing was lost on my DVR memory. Only formats the new gadget. Go ahead. Works great for me. I have 25 different programs recorder (HD, too) and only 2% used.

0 Likes
Re: External Hard Drive - Clarification
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@tobaccojack wrote:

... I have 25 different programs recorder (HD, too) and only 2% used.

Just for clarification  I suspect you mean that the total material recorded, including the material on the internal HDD in the DVR, amounts to 25 programs.  Also that the material on the externall drive accounts for only 2% of capacity.  You did not specify the size of the external drive, but if my experience is any guide, 25 or so programs recorded in HD will use much more than 2% of the typical external WD drive.

0 Likes