FIOS DVR box is ridiculously slow
mstrickl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Anyone know a way to speed up the DVR box. It takes forever to get it to respond to anything. I've been trying to delete one program for 3 minutes now. This thing is the worst DVR box I have ever had. Had DiretTV 10 years a go and the box was almost instant. How is it that technology has gone backwards?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS DVR box is ridiculously slow
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Be specific on which DVR box.

Quantum boxes VMS1100, some report slow, but I am one of those that is not seeing this.  Some fixes for this being rolled out now.

Older boxes for example 6xxx boxes, ask verizon if they will replace it.  If you are eligible for any MPEG4 channels, they definitily will replace for free.

7216 and 7232 are reasonably fast, but not as fast as a VMS1100 (if the Quantum box is working correctly).

Assuming everything is okay with the boxes, various problem can occur with certain TV's interfering with the remote (try isolating the box so that it doesn't see the screen reflection.  Also try the remote from various locations to see if that makes a difference.  I had one remote that had the IR emitter shifted so that it was not being seen unless you held it at an angle (I replaced that remote with one of the many extras I accumlated over the years).  The angle at which the DVR sees the remote also matters (I believe, but have not done a full test, that most of the DVR's don't like being low down and seeing the remote well above them.

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

I had a 7216 until January, when i switched to FiOS Quantum and got the VMS1100.  (btw - The 7216 was a "free DVR for life"  Guess I didn't read teh fine print - since it wouldn't work with Quantum, it ws bye-bye to the free-DVR-for-life.)  The 7216 was good, with acceptable response.  The VMS1100 is in the same physical location that the 7216 was at.  I've used different remotes. The VMS1100 has never been as quick.    

I've heard similar complaints from others living in different areas. There are too many people with a similar problem for it to be "user error".  Verizon needs to investigate to determine the root cause of the poor Quantum performance and then make improvements.  

The flagship product should have flagship performance.  

Justin46
Legend

@fossil wrote:

I had a 7216 until January, when i switched to FiOS Quantum and got the VMS1100.  (btw - The 7216 was a "free DVR for life"  Guess I didn't read teh fine print - since it wouldn't work with Quantum, it ws bye-bye to the free-DVR-for-life.)  The 7216 was good, with acceptable response.  The VMS1100 is in the same physical location that the 7216 was at.  I've used different remotes. The VMS1100 has never been as quick.    

I've heard similar complaints from others living in different areas. There are too many people with a similar problem for it to be "user error".  Verizon needs to investigate to determine the root cause of the poor Quantum performance and then make improvements.  

The flagship product should have flagship performance.  

Agreed, and Verizon is well aware of the performance issues and is working to fix them. From my perspective, while I have seen some problems since I received my Quantum TV boxes in early April 2014, any that I have seen have never, ever been as serious as some users report (why? I have no idea).

Do you have the latest software for your boxes? It is APR-2.0 Build 04.28.2. I have only had it for a week or so, but so far it has really worked very well, the performance for example is very close now to what I saw with my QIP7232. If you don't have the latest version, you should automatically get it at the end of the month (next week).

One issue you may or may not be aware of, Verizon made a decision to implement the Quantum TV software using HTML 5, where the software for the old boxes was Javascript I believe. That was probably a good decision for future enhancements, but it meant a complete rewrite for the new boxes, and for sure they have screwed some stuff up. But I know they are working hard to fix the Quantum stuff, and deliver new function. And I think they are making good progress, not as fast as I wish, but still progress.

Hang in there, things will get better IMO.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1
FWIW, we got the 04.28.2 update a few days ago. Initially it seemed to help the VMS1100 slow response problem. However, after the few days since the update the intermittent lag is back.

Seems like the VMS1100 still isn't really ready for prime time.
mstrickl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the VMS1100. It is absolutely unacceptable. I can deal with a slight lag, I've become accustomed to lackluster performance in cable TV equipment. But this box can take more than 10 minutes to make one change to the scheduled recording list. Last night I tried to clear up a conflict with a recording and the box locked up for 10 minutes; wouldn't respond to any input. After 10 minutes it told me it couldn't schedule the recording, then scheduled the recording, then started working normal slow again. Fast forwarding or rewinding through a recorded TV show is a hit or miss deal. Sometimes it reponds to the button press right away, then locks up and goes through most of the show before it will respond to the play button. 

If something isn't done soon I'll be switching to another company, I'm not sure if their equipment is faster or not, but I'm sure it can't be slower. I've had a few DVR boxes from several compainies, and this is by far the slowest. 

0 Likes
fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

Justin, (‎posted 08-26-2015 04:17 PM)

Thanks for the words of encouragement.   You don't know me but, be assured, I am not prone to hyperbole.  My 40+ years working with computers of all sorts includes performance measurement & tuning on machines ranging from desktops to huge mainframes and distributed client/server systems with thousands of users.  You can take my obeservations to the bank -- just the way Vz takes my monthly payments to their bank.

As of about 2 weeks ago, I have the latest greatest software.  It provided a modest improvement

I often have to wait at least 3 seconds before I can be sure as to whether I made a "bad button press" or FiOS is showing it's "bad response"; "one mississippi, two mississippi" seems to be the average for a +/- channel change; DVR interactions average "3 mississippis".  Always - no; that's the average.  All too often I end up with 4 digits  for a directly entered channel, rather than the intended 3, becasue of latency in response.  Worst case for response has gone from 15 seconds (in Jan 2015) to about 7 seconds - excluding the occasional "freezes" that require turning the VMS1100 off/on.  So, better - but, not good enough.

IMHO, Vz got caught lagging behind the competition and in playing catch-up, put Quantum out before it was tested & ready.  And, given the way Vz is steadily shrinking it's footprint across the country, I don't expect much improvement.  

Enjoy the upcoming holiday.

Brad1976
Enthusiast - Level 2

And 5-1/2 years later, the VMS1100 STILL is not yet ready for prime time. Ugh.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes