FIOS DVR doesn't power off
ronjohn
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I completely power off my FIOS DVR without pulling the plug? I have 3 DVRS and the Hard-Drives are constantly spinning even at night, consuming power, which isn't green and of course costing me money. If I can't power it off without unplugging it I think I'm going to file a complaint with my local government against VERIZON. 

0 Likes
Re: FIOS DVR doesn't power off
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short, you don't.   The boxes remain in a standby state when powered "off" as they get updates and have to process the scheduled recordings, etc.     As this is essentially a small computer, the hard drive is on as well.     The drive may or may not spin down at times when the box isn't actively recording.

The whole extra nickel this probably costs you a year is hardly worth worrying about.

0 Likes
xmnj2
Contributor - Level 1

I agree with lasagna.  Besides, this is how it works with all providers, the HDD never spins down, and is always running.  We are not talking that much power being used.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Here is some helpful information

I took a kill-a-watt to a fios sd stb once. It used something like 12- 15 watts when "on" and 10-13 watts when off. It was a minor and very small difference. Although electricity is expensive, the extra .024kwh of electricity you use leaving the box on all night (3 watts x 8 hours) adds up to (assuming 30 days a month) less than a kilowatt hour (0.72kwh) a month. the only noticeable difference would be if the box was completely off, but even then you would have to wait for a while before being able to actually watch any tv while the stb booted.

I think DVR's are closer to 20 watts when off, and another user noted, that it was insignificant when in standby mode as well.  Just keep in mind the last sentence

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes