Fios TV One Mini Does Not See Fios TV One
JohnnyH1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is my network:

ONT -> FIOS G1100 -> My Own Router.

FIOS Router with IP 192.168.1.x
Own Router Network with IP 192.168.2.x

Fios TV One and the Mini work fine using the 5G WIFI from FIOS G1100.

However, since the Mini is far from FIOS G1100, so the WIFI is not strong.  I want to change from WIFI to ethernet.  

The problem is that I cannot run the ethernet from FIOS G1100 router to the Mini, so I hook up the Mini to my own network.  Now the Fios TV One is on 192.168.1.x network, and the Mini is on 192.168.2.x network.  The Mini reported that it couldn't find the Fios TV One.

I played around with the Port Forwarding, but couldn't get it working.  Anyone knows what I should do to make it work?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios TV One Mini Does Not See Fios TV One
JohnnyH1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The network was configured a long time ago before I upgraded to Fios TV One.  There are couple networks with their own IP block as well.  Also, there are too many stuffs on the network with static IPs.  Do not want to go through and re-configure everything again.  

I guess I will either find the way to run ethernet line, or use extender.

Thank you everyone.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JohnnyH wrote:

This is my network:

ONT -> FIOS G1100 -> My Own Router.

FIOS Router with IP 192.168.1.x
Own Router Network with IP 192.168.2.x

Fios TV One and the Mini work fine using the 5G WIFI from FIOS G1100.

However, since the Mini is far from FIOS G1100, so the WIFI is not strong.  I want to change from WIFI to ethernet.  

The problem is that I cannot run the ethernet from FIOS G1100 router to the Mini, so I hook up the Mini to my own network.  Now the Fios TV One is on 192.168.1.x network, and the Mini is on 192.168.2.x network.  The Mini reported that it couldn't find the Fios TV One.

I played around with the Port Forwarding, but couldn't get it working.  Anyone knows what I should do to make it work?

The mini wants to see a hidden network that the G1100 provides. The best way is to use either coax or ethernet to the mini from the G1100. I have seen port forwarding that worked on here somewhere, but can't say myself how it can be done. You might want to PM this CL for his opinion. He's much better at networking than I am. https://forums.verizon.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/310029

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fios One mini's use SSDP to discover Fios One boxes. SSDP packet is typically set to a TTL of 1 (Time to Live), meaning the SSDP packet cannot travel across two networks. A router in the path would reduce TTL by one, in this case to 0, and the packet is dropped and is probably never reaching the Fios One box.

The solution would be to eliminate the 192.168.2.0/24 network and reduce your router into a link device. Depends on the model of your router, the exact procedure may vary. The general steps are 1) assign a vacant static IP onto the router's LAN interface; 2) disable the router's DHCP server; 3) unplugged the WAN cable and plug it to a LAN port of the router.

JohnnyH1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much.

I guess that is the limitation of the Fios TV One Mini.  There is reason that I must have different networks.   So don't think it will work for me.

Anyway, I may find the way to run ethernet from the Fios Router to the mini meanwhile.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is not necessarily the limitation of Fios One mini's. Some routers are capable of forwarding SSDP packets to a different network by modifying the TTL.

What's your reason of having two networks with double NAT?

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JohnnyH wrote:

Thank you so much.

I guess that is the limitation of the Fios TV One Mini.  There is reason that I must have different networks.   So don't think it will work for me.

Anyway, I may find the way to run ethernet from the Fios Router to the mini meanwhile.

Can you use an extender to run the ethernet to the mini from your Fios router? https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV600-Powerline-WiFi-Extender/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=asc_df_B00HSQAIQU?tag...  Not sure if one of the AC line based extenders would work.

JohnnyH1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The network was configured a long time ago before I upgraded to Fios TV One.  There are couple networks with their own IP block as well.  Also, there are too many stuffs on the network with static IPs.  Do not want to go through and re-configure everything again.  

I guess I will either find the way to run ethernet line, or use extender.

Thank you everyone.