Re: FiOS TV One VMS4100 Audio Pass Through Only Passing 5.1 Channels
GW19

I’m so sick of this!! This is making me want to leave Verizon. This is terrible. Fix it Verizon!!!!

0 Likes
Bwangster12

I have a Logitech Z-5450 connected to my older Samsung TV using an optical toslink and the TV connected to my Fios One mini using HDMI.  I get Dolby Pro Logic II Music and Movie, but for the life of me can't get Dolby Digital.  Logitech seems to think its because my TV doesn't have an HDMI Arc.  Is my issue what everyone is discussing here about the Fios box not passing through the Dolby Digital signal... or is it the HDMI Arc thing?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ari2419 wrote:

I have a Logitech Z-5450 connected to my older Samsung TV using an optical toslink and the TV connected to my Fios One mini using HDMI.  I get Dolby Pro Logic II Music and Movie, but for the life of me can't get Dolby Digital.  Logitech seems to think its because my TV doesn't have an HDMI Arc.  Is my issue what everyone is discussing here about the Fios box not passing through the Dolby Digital signal... or is it the HDMI Arc thing?

The problem with the Fios boxes was that they converted EVERYTHING to DD5.1, regardless of source. So if you had a stereo source, it was converted to DD5.1 whether you wanted it to or not. The latest firmware update added back a pass-through option, so its taken care of. You might want to try plugging that optical cable into the Fios box instead, as the older Samsung probably won't pass DD5.1 out its optical connector and the Fios box will. HDMI ARC is only going to work for you if you have an ARC capable device in the system to receive audio from the TV via HDMI. Older TVs didn't have this feature.

Bwangster12

The mini box is what I'm trying this on (so the 4100?).  I do not see an optical port for my toslink cable.  Will I need some other cable or adapter?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ari2419 wrote:

The mini box is what I'm trying this on (so the 4100?).  I do not see an optical port for my toslink cable.  Will I need some other cable or adapter?

I'm assuming your Samsung is only 1080i capable right? If so you need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Splitter-Optical-Converter-DotStone/dp/B01KYURMEW

Wire 1 HDMI cable from fios box to converter, then HDMI cable from converter to TV, then optical from converter to Logitech box.

mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3

Clem53, can you or anyone else confirm that Pass Through on the VMS4100 is passing the audio that is coming from channels properly without re-encoding it? Just curious because I downgraded to the VMS1100 and have no way to test it. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mtk12002 wrote:

Clem53, can you or anyone else confirm that Pass Through on the VMS4100 is passing the audio that is coming from channels properly without re-encoding it? Just curious because I downgraded to the VMS1100 and have no way to test it. Thanks in advance.

I'll check with some people and get back to you on this because I can't confirm it personally.

mtk12002
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. I'm not allowed to disclose what I've learned via private message from Verizon but I'm not sure they have a clue as to what the issue is, so any info would be appreciated since I'd like to go back to the VMS4100.

0 Likes
Bwangster12

Thanks, I went a cheaper route, but it looks to be the same thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XBSGFDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully this will give me Dolby Digital when watching TV over my Fios box... but how will it work if my son is playing some old Wii video games?  That is connected to TV using component cables I believe.  Will the audio from the Wii just play through the TV speakers?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ari2419 wrote:

Thanks, I went a cheaper route, but it looks to be the same thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XBSGFDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully this will give me Dolby Digital when watching TV over my Fios box... but how will it work if my son is playing some old Wii video games?  That is connected to TV using component cables I believe.  Will the audio from the Wii just play through the TV speakers?

Looks like it should be fine.

For the Wii hookup, either use the optical from the TV hooked into the Logitech box and select the other optical input (I believe the Logitech has 2 optical ins), or hook RCA audio from the Wii to the Logitech box, you'll need an RCA to 1/8 stereo adaptor or cable and select that input for sound. If you want Wii sound from both the TV and Logitech,  get a pair of RCA Y cables and split the Wii's audio outs to feed the TV and the Logitech if you dont want to use another optical cable.