FiOS TV SD picture quality on an HDTV
maiku

I have an SD STB and am considering switching to an HD STB.  My questions...

-- SD channels (through the STB) look significantly worse on my HDTV than on my old tube TV.  Will switching to an HD STB and connecting with HDMI improve the picture quality of SD channels?

-- My HDTV takes about 7 seconds to change channels when viewing with QAM.  Will the HD STB improve the responsiveness?  Will channel changing be comparable to the SD box I have now?

-- I've been told moving to an HD STB with the basic TV Essentials package will only give me local HD channels.  Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by maiku on 12-07-2008 01:09 PM
0 Likes
Re: FiOS TV SD picture quality on an HDTV
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1
Yes, your PQ will be better with an HD DVR on a HDTV, the HD channels will lok crystal clear and the Digital channels better than with a standard STB.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

It's not unusual that a sd box would send only a fair picture to a hd tv. The sd recievers are made for the old tube sets.

Once you place your hd reciever and fire it up, you will be more than amazed at the quality.  However if you only have fios essentials it's well worth it to spend the extra $10 and get the Hd extreme package.  It not only gives you all the rest of Hd stations, but also doubles your internet speeds from 10/2 to 20/5.  As for responsive ness...the reciever performs much quicker than the built in Qam recievers.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
If you're concerned about SD picture quality then wait until IMG 1.6.1 comes out. There is a bug with the older HD boxes which maked the SD stations soft & blurry. The newer boxes don't have that problem but have their own problems which 1.6.1 will also fix.
0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1
When is the new upgrade coming?
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
No one knows for sure, it's still in testing. I doubt it will be before January.
0 Likes
conehead98
Enthusiast - Level 1
SD stb boxes wasn't just made for CRT TV's. It receives a signal. Since Verizon went all digital. It receives and transmits The digital signal to The TV. Weather CRT are flat screens.  a good signal in will equal a good signal out.bad signal in bad signal out.yes The hd box is better for The reason you get hd tv.wich before I got my flat screen I had The hd stb hooked up to my high def CRT TV. The stb provides The signal for your TV no matter what kind of TV It is. Now you need to make sure you have your TV set up right to get The best picture.
0 Likes