Heavy pixelation on fios with tivo XL
Brychance
Enthusiast - Level 1

Been getting very bad pixelation on various channels.  Called tech support and after the standard "check you cables, restart the tivo" stuff, they decided that the solution was to send me a new cable card.  I doubt this is going to solve the issue since the Tivo box shows very low signal strength coming to the box.  In the DVR diagnostic screen, the signal drops to 35 with a SNR of 32Db.   The RS uncorrected (which shows how much pixelation is being passed just counts upwards continuously.  It gets so bad in the evenings that the picture is unwatchable.  Maybe time to shop for another provider considering the other comments both here and around the Internet.  

0 Likes
Re: Heavy pixelation on fios with tivo XL
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

try replacing your splitter or the coax cable behind the TIVO box.   could be a bad coax cable.

0 Likes
Brychance
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've replaced the cable and even moved the Tivo box and connected it directly.  Same issue.  Besides that, the signal varies for the same channels greatly.  For example, this afternoon I checked it and on the channels that give me the most issues, the signal strength was 40-45 or so.  However, right now, they are all at 100.  This evening it will probably drop to 25-30 to the point it is unwatchable.  I doubt a bad cable is causing such a swing in signal strength. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Brychance wrote:

I've replaced the cable and even moved the Tivo box and connected it directly.  Same issue.  Besides that, the signal varies for the same channels greatly.  For example, this afternoon I checked it and on the channels that give me the most issues, the signal strength was 40-45 or so.  However, right now, they are all at 100.  This evening it will probably drop to 25-30 to the point it is unwatchable.  I doubt a bad cable is causing such a swing in signal strength. 

Have you reset the ONT (removing the batter backuppower and then pull the plug)?

0 Likes
Brychance
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, I have not tried that.  Not sure what affect that's going to have on signal strength, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything.   Verizon sent me a new cablecard, I think just in an effort to get me off the phone, but I'm going to try swapping that out...I'll even "reset the ONT" just for fun....but after that, it'll be goodbye Fios. 

0 Likes